Antidepressants
Does the Church take a stand on using Antidepressants?
Daniel

Daniel,

every Catholic hospital I know of has a department of psychiatry.  The ones with which I am familiar, in one of the largest diocese' in the nation, routinely administer them where appropriate.  I wouldn't trouble yourself about this for an instant.
AFAIK, no, because it's medicine to help improve life.  If someone needs it, they should take it.

We aren't like Scientologists or Christian Scientists.  If you break your arm, the doc puts it in a cast.  If you have chemical or other depression, have it treated.

You're right on target, QUD. 
Thank both of you.  You make me feel better.  I am on three different ones and I was starting to panic that I should offer up my problems and deal with depression and anxiety.  Thanks again
Daniel

Daniel-
Anti-depressants aren't a crutch, they are a tool. As you know by now (if you have been taking them a while) they aren't 'feel good' drugs. You aren't getting high, seeking pleasure from taking them. All they do (if they work) is enable you to use tools such as prayer and CBT to work through your anxiety and depressions (if they are situational). I liken them to throwing a rope to a man in a deep hole. The rope gives him the ability to get out of the hole but he still has to use it and work at it to accomplish the goal of getting to the top.

Feel better soon!!
kzarah Wrote:Thank both of you.  You make me feel better.  I am on three different ones and I was starting to panic that I should offer up my problems and deal with depression and anxiety.  Thanks again
Daniel

I think you are dealing with it, Daniel. And you can still offer things up while you are taking anti-depressants. My own concern is that it is unusual for someone to be on 3 anti-depressants at the same time. Usually one or two will be sufficient. The more medicine you take the greater risk of side effects. You may wish to speak to your doctor about that.
Kzarah, be assured of my prayers.[Image: prayer.gif]
You people and all in this forum are my family and I very much appreciate your support.
Daniel

I've taken Prozac for 20 years, and took a real bad one (Tofranil) for 10 years before Prozac came along.  Prozac makes me feel "real."  I'm bi-polar and schizoaffective, and have PTSD from Vietnam. However, I nearly died from taking Zyprexa a few years ago!  You HAVE to be a responsible consumer of medications.  Now, after 5 hospitalizations in the last year alone, I also take Seroquel for the psychotic symptoms.  The meds saved my life and give me a real quality of life I could never find on my own.  I also pray regularly!  Pray for me as I will for you!