Did Padre Pio Smoke a Pipe ?
Dear All,

We are reading about the life and accounts of Padre Pio this week. Does anyone know if he smoked a pipe ? One of the accounts talks about him having tobacco. There are also references to the aroma of tobacco.

E. Spear

Dunno mate, I've read a lot on Padre' Pio but I've never read that he smoked a pipe.
I have heard of the smells though (roses, tobacco, ect). Amazing man don't you think?
As a capuchin, I doubt that he would smoke at all being that smoking is considered a luxary and would interfere with his Franciscan spirit of Poverty.
Padre Pio used to smoke 1 cigarette a day. This was before it was known that smoking caused cancer. Anyway, it was only 1 cigarette a day so that wasn't endangering his health.
(02-26-2007, 05:28 PM)Historian Wrote: Padre Pio used to smoke 1 cigarette a day. This was before it was known that smoking caused cancer. Anyway, it was only 1 cigarette a day so that wasn't endangering his health.
Where have you read that padre pio was smoking one cigarette a day. I would like to know this sources of information please.
(02-26-2007, 05:28 PM)Historian Wrote: Padre Pio used to smoke 1 cigarette a day. This was before it was known that smoking caused cancer. Anyway, it was only 1 cigarette a day so that wasn't endangering his health.

I think you might be confusing St. Pio with Pope St. Pius X.

The story goes that, during his canonization proceedings, the Devil's Advocate's only findings were that he smoked 1 cigarette per day* and that he said a 26-minute Low Mass.

*This was only before he was elected Pope.  He gave it up entirely at that point.
(04-03-2021, 11:06 AM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: The story goes that, during his canonization proceedings, the Devil's Advocate's only findings were that he smoked 1 cigarette per day* and that he said a 26-minute Low Mass.
Is it bad to say a 26 minute low Mass? I think St. Alphonsus said low Mass is ordinarily supposed to be between 20 and 30 minutes.
(04-06-2021, 02:37 PM)Marmot Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 11:06 AM)ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident Wrote: The story goes that, during his canonization proceedings, the Devil's Advocate's only findings were that he smoked 1 cigarette per day* and that he said a 26-minute Low Mass.
Is it bad to say a 26 minute low Mass? I think St. Alphonsus said low Mass is ordinarily supposed to be between 20 and 30 minutes.

I wouldn't think it's a sin, but then again, neither is smoking one cigarette per day.  I think the point of the story is that the worst things they could find were not even venial sins.
[-] The following 4 users Like ChairmanJoeAintMyPresident's post:
  • HedgeKnight, jovan66102, Marmot, PilgrimMichelangelo
(04-03-2021, 10:36 AM)David46 Wrote:
Where have you read that padre pio was smoking one cigarette a day. I would like to know this sources of information please.
Years ago I read 5 or 6 books on Pare Pio. 1 or 2 of them mentioned he smoked 1 cigarette a day. I believe 1 of them that mentions that is The Holy Man on the Mountain and the Americans who Discovered him by Frank M. Rega