How to Peel a Boiled Egg. Maybe.
I haven't tried this myself, folks; I'm just passing it on. Anyone care to boil a few eggs, experiment, and report back to us? (from comments left at the site at which I found the video, the egg has to be hard-boiled, not soft-boiled -- but there weren't enough comments to get a sense of whether this actually works if done correctly...) From lifehacker.com:

How to Peel a Hard-Boiled Egg

Whoa! If I ate eggs I would try it in a heart beat. But alas... maybe dh would be interested in testing this. It almost looks too easy.
:eats:

Edit: If I ate hardboiled eggs. I do eat eggs, sorry about that. :)
I'll have to give this a try next time.

I know of an excellent way to make fresh eggs peel easier, even the softer-boiled.  You first bring the eggs to room temperature by leaving them out a couple of hours.  I usually take mine out in the morning before work, and boil them when I come home.

Bring your pot of water to a rolling boil, then using tongs or a big spoon, slide the eggs into the boiling water.  This will cool down the water.  Start your timer the second the water begins to boil again.  After the time is up, immediately give your eggs a cool water bath in the sink.  Once they have cooled off enough they are ready to peel and the peels just slide off.  I've even put them in the fridge with peels on and they are just as easy to peel days later.

For soft boiled eggs- 2.5-3 min boiling time
For hard boiled eggs- 5 min boiling time
now that is cool
Oh, wow and just in time for my family's egg fight on Easter. LOL. I can't wait. I am willing to bet that I get to see some boys hyperventilate while trying to blow an egg out of its shell.

Eggciting!!!!!!!!!
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
"I can eat 50 eggs!"

[Image: Cool-Hand-Luke.jpg]
miss_fluffy Wrote:I'll have to give this a try next time.

I know of an excellent way to make fresh eggs peel easier, even the softer-boiled.  You first bring the eggs to room temperature by leaving them out a couple of hours.  I usually take mine out in the morning before work, and boil them when I come home.

Bring your pot of water to a rolling boil, then using tongs or a big spoon, slide the eggs into the boiling water.  This will cool down the water.  Start your timer the second the water begins to boil again.  After the time is up, immediately give your eggs a cool water bath in the sink.  Once they have cooled off enough they are ready to peel and the peels just slide off.  I've even put them in the fridge with peels on and they are just as easy to peel days later.

For soft boiled eggs- 2.5-3 min boiling time
For hard boiled eggs- 5 min boiling time

Do you put vinegar in the boiling water? Do you put ice cubes in the cooling water or do you just use cold/cool tap water? We make hard boiled eggs all the time and have not quite figured out the trick.
NO vinegar, and I just use cold tap water to cool.  You don't have to make them cold quickly after boiling.  The idea is just to cool them down enough to stop the cooking process.  I really like my eggs to have gooshy yellow yolks, so I try to cool them down quickly so they don't keep cooking and make the yolks hard.

The essential part that makes them easy to peel is the sudden temp change caused by putting them into water that's already boiling.  When you do this, the eggs need to be room temperature or else the temp difference is too great and it causes them to explode.  I have tried it with eggs that just came out of the fridge, tried to warm them in my hand a little, and most of them blew up upon entering the boiling water.
We cooked our eggs for Easter on Saturday and once the eggs were cool enough to be handled I had to stand guard to keep the kids from blowing all the eggs out of the shells. It works, and it was hilarious!

But, it didn't work on Sunday. Maybe because they had been in the fridge?
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.