Mandatory Peep Thread
It is Easter. We must have a Peep thread; it's mandatory. First, the story, in video, of how Peeps are made born:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3016585

My dogs love Peeps. My Mom would get some every year for them, calling them "Peeps for the pups!" That is now a tradition, even though she is, pray God, in Heaven. 

I've determined that the proper way to give a dog a Peep is butt-first so you can see the dog with a little yellow chicken head sticking out of its mouth. Far too cute, trust me.

I think Peeps are best when they are juuuuust on the edge of going stale, don't you? A little age gives them a slight chewiness that works. Yes, they are like a fine wine or a good cheese in that way.

Finally, I have to remind all of the joys of Peep Jousting. Take two Peeps -- preferably of two different colors so they can be distinguished from each other -- and stick a toothpick into the chest of each so that it protrudes like a knight's lance. Put them in the microwave facing each other, about an inch and a half apart. Place your bets and then start up a CD of Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries." Now nuke the Peeps to see who is stabbed first. One such drama unfolds below:

Peep Jousting 

OK, this is cool. Make "Peeps" out of meringue:

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/peeps

I think I'd omit the saffron and use yellow food coloring instead. Then I'd nest the Peeps on a bed of whipped cream with vanilla in it, and have berries in the middle --- a sort of a Peep Pavlova.

My dh got me 3 boxes of peeps -3 days ago. You see, they *must* be stale to eat. I open them and let them sit out for about 3 days before I will eat them. Yum! [Image: eatdrink026.gif]
JLeigh Wrote:My dh got me 3 boxes of peeps -3 days ago. You see, they *must* be stale to eat. I open them and let them sit out for about 3 days before I will eat them. Yum! [Image: eatdrink026.gif]

See? Jen knows! Ya know, and I hate to admit this, but I have a thing of Peeps (they were Peeps for the Pups) from last year. I just haven't thrown them out because -- well, they are official Peeps for the Pups. But I could eat one and report back. In fact, I think I will. Hang on...
OK, these are not Peep-Peeps, they're the Bunny Peeps -- not even close to the real thing in style, but, er, consubstantial and all that. So here goes:

Oh, man -- hard as a rock on the outside. No, hard as a meringue cookie. It has a definite bite -- a crisp bite that crunches. But that's the outside. The inner part is -- well, I have to go back to the meringue comparison. It is very slightly chewy, but mostly sugary-dissolvy in the mouth. It isn't bad! But Jen's way is best, I think...
JLeigh Wrote:My dh got me 3 boxes of peeps -3 days ago. You see, they *must* be stale to eat. I open them and let them sit out for about 3 days before I will eat them. Yum! [Image: eatdrink026.gif]

That so weird. My dad and I have always left our peeps out for at least a week before eating them so they will get stale. :D
:lol: I've always loved mine stale too...when they're fresh they're just too gooey. Too funny about the year-old Peeps! :p