Potatoes Instead of Prozac

I read a book with this title one time that I got from a friend and I was wondering if anyone else has heard of it. It was about a natural treatment for for depression and/or low self esteem. IHere is what I remember from it.

There are a couple of primary things responsible for a good steady mood.
1. Beta -endorphins
2. Steady levels of blood glucose.
An imbalance in endorphin levels can cause either a sense of euphoria if they spike too high, or low self-esteem and depression if they drop too low. An imbalance in blood-sugar levels can cause an overly hyped or irritable feeling if glucose spikes too high, or lethargic and dazed if they drop too low.

In order to help your body regulate these two things, eat some potato before you go to bed, seriously. It doesn't have to be alot and with or without the skin is no consequence. Potatoes are rich in 'L-Tryptophan' which your body uses to create and regulate beta-endorphins. There is actually a science behind this. Beta-endorphins are the chemical in your body that give you a sense of well being as well as aiding in good, steady levels of blood glucose. However, the potato has to be eaten at least three hours after any kind of protein intake, because tryptophan is the runt of the amino-acids and has to compete with all the other amino-acids to pass the blood-brain barrier.

There are a couple of things that that raise a persons beta-endorphin levels.
1. Excercise, especially aerobic type such as jogging (the runner's high) etc.  
2. Sugar, and alcohol which actually is a type of sugar.

Women, as they get close to their monthly cycle, can become low on endorphin levels, this is why they crave chocolate and hugs (hey I know it sounds stupid but this is serious science), because sugar, (and alcohol which is a type of sugar), as well as aerobic type activity spike a persons beta-endorphin levels. This is why some people get so happy when they drink alchohol, or they think they're ten foot tall and bullet proof - because the spiked endorphin levels give them a tremdous sense of well being.

Eating some potato before you go to bed will give your body a good supply of what it needs to manufacture and regulate good, steady levels of endorphins which cause a more steady mood and a better sense of self-esteem, and can aid in giving a more steady blood-glucose and curbing a sweet-tooth. They say it might take up to 6 weeks for this work.

Sounds good to me. I'll give it a whirl.
I'm interested in trying out potatoes at bed for mood elevation. 

I can see how sugar and alcohol elevates mood, but doesn't it also set you up for crash and burn?  Or is that just for people like me who suffer from mild hypoglycemia and insulin resistance?

Or perhaps I'm just resistant to the idea that one should drink alcohol and eat sugar as a way to better health.  Goes against everything I've ever known.
miss_fluffy Wrote:I'm interested in trying out potatoes at bed for mood elevation. 

I can see how sugar and alcohol elevates mood, but doesn't it also set you up for crash and burn?  Or is that just for people like me who suffer from mild hypoglycemia and insulin resistance?

Or perhaps I'm just resistant to the idea that one should drink alcohol and eat sugar as a way to better health.  Goes against everything I've ever known.

Oh, I didn't mean that drinking alcohol and eating sugar are a way to help you, but merely explaining the effect they have on endorphin levels and how endorphins affect our moods. And doing these two probably would set one up for a crash and burn. (I edited the origional post above, apologies).

I meant that some people can have naturally low levels of endorphins due to such things as hormonal or chemical imbalance, or just be going through a phase of low levels, etc. Eating the potatoes helps maintain and regulate good, natural levels of endorphins. Regular exercise can have the same effect. But the potato thing ensures that the body is getting what it needs to manufacture and help regulate these levels.

Alcohol?  Potatoes?
Hmmm....

Vodka is made from potatoes... yet, Russians remain a pretty depressed lot.  Must be all the borscht that undermines the benefits.  [Image: laff.gif]

Do french fries count as potatoes? :p
Spooky7272 Wrote:Do french fries count as potatoes? :p

For self-esteem, most definitely "french fries" would count!  French arrogance is legendary...  [Image: laff.gif]
I believe it, Mark. Hey, if they're good for the Irish they're good for me. And no deadly fluoride-laced Prozac either-excellent!

And miss fluffy, if you suffer from insulin resistance try a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon every morning, it has a substance (which name I cannot recall right now) that not only acts like insulin but also reverses the body's own insulin resistance over time. I feel a lot better after I have some cinnamon (best in coffee), I only wish I could get my diabetic mother to try it.

But can anything really replace the down-home taste of mashed Prozac smothered in gravy?

Gotta be right. Look at the Irish !