Our New Church (Photos)
Oh, JLeigh, I am jealous! But I shouldn't complain, St. Mary's Assumption is beautiful too... here is a pic of the high altar.

[Image: stlouis_altar300x192.jpg]

Try to imagine it candle-lit, with all the Christmas trees banked around the altar for Midnight Mass... it is incredible....
Very very nice. So how is it that the Archbishop came to give this church to your community? Did you have to write alot of letters or something to that extent?
51olds Wrote:Very very nice. So how is it that the Archbishop came to give this church to your community? Did you have to write alot of letters or something to that extent?

Well, our (diocesan) priest was very instrumental in getting us this church. He went to bat for us, and every Sunday, right before the sermon, he would have the whole congregation saying novenas for this intention. There were many diocesan meetings regarding us. Our priest also went around to all the empty available churches to check for "renovations" that would make it unsuitable for the TLM. He thought this one was the best of the available, so he again went to bat for us so that we could have this church.

Our Archbishop however, while a bit of a modernist, does not have any hatred for the TLM -in fact, he performed the Sacrament of Confirmation for the young people in our church last year -in the Latin Rite no less. Smile He then spent time getting to know all of us at the celebratory dinner afterwords. On our first Sunday in the new church, he was there to welcome us, and give us his blessing, which was very nice!

I will say, though, that the best part about our new church is this: the church is in a not-so-good area of town. The population is mostly Hispanic/Latino, with some gang activity. Every single Sunday, more and more of these people are coming to the Mass. So many that we had to quickly get some Spanish/Latin missalettes (sp?) made. Two Sundays ago, we had a group of gang members (no, I didn't ask them if they were gang members, but it was pretty easy to tell Wink ) come to Mass. It was a bit nerve-wracking LOL, but they tried sooo hard to follow everything. It was truly edifying. Smile
Just noticed this on the outside of our church yesterday evening (why I never noticed before is beyond me LOL) when we went to Mass, so I wanted to post it because it's so beautiful:

[Image: mary-mosaic.jpg]

Wow! Beautiful!!
  I cannot tell you how happy it makes me to hear that people who live in the neighborhood are coming to Mass.  I have been in some marginal neighborhood Latin Mass parishes, and have been sorry that the community was never made welcome, or the parishoners disdained the neighbors.  I always thought that our saints would never have had it that way.

Even more beautiful.  This gives me hope!