Not smoking can be sinful
Drinking and Smoking

A wealth of online homilies by Father Ripperger, FSSP

:amen:

I especially like his point about teaching your children moderation at home. Thanks for the link!
I don't think I'm buying the agrument that the principle of moderation requires a moderate amount of smoking.  What's next?  A mederate amount of heroin?  A moderate amount of hemlock in your salad?
spasiisochrani Wrote:I don't think I'm buying the agrument that the principle of moderation requires a moderate amount of smoking.  What's next?  A mederate amount of heroin?  A moderate amount of hemlock in your salad?

I don't recall him stating that one must smoke.  I thought he was stating that when one smokes, do so in moderation.  It's been a few days since I listened to it so I may be wrong, but that's not what it sounded like to me.  [Image: tiphat2.gif]
[Image: oldman.gif][Image: pipe.gif]Does anybody remember the little garment smoking priests used to wear protecting the fingers of consecration from nicotine?  They were like transparent gloves.  I remember them distinctly but have never seen any reference to them?  Anyone?[Image: incense.gif]
This priest obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. I am a recovering alcoholic-addict, formerly addicted to alcohol, valium and other tranqs, and nicotine, as in cigarettes. Nicotine is an addicting drug. The literature from Nicotine Anonymous states it is as addicting as cocaine. They did a scientific study on it. It is documented. It is 99% impossible to be a moderate smoker. You can't do it. Even non-addicts get addicted to it. And it can be a MORTAL SIN to smoke. It damages your own health. (It gave me asthma. It killed my father with lung cancer. It killed my mother with second hand smoke. It has killed millions and continues to kill.) It damages the lungs of those who are around your smoke, so you are responsible for that as well as the damage done to your own  lungs. Nicotine rots the spine too. It damages other internal organs. It can give you tongue cancer, or throat cancer, or, like my natural mother--it gave her pharyngeal cancer (pharynx--between the nose, ear, and throat.) Don't tell me, Father Ripperger that smoking isn't a sin, because it is. And it is not good for you. Nicotine is poison.
incrucetrad Wrote:Don't tell me, Father Ripperger that smoking isn't a sin, because it is. 

And where do you get your authority to make such a statement?

caffeine is addictive and not good for you.

eating tasty foods is addictive and not good for you...

If a specific substance is a problem for an individual...it may be a sin for that person...but it doesn't make it sin across the board.

Quote:Originally Posted by incrucetrad
Don't tell me, Father Ripperger that smoking isn't a sin, because it is.

Do you even know Fr. Ripperger? Your tone is rather condescending towards him, as if you think he couldn't possibly know what he's talking about.

His point was that it was an uncatholic view to think that it is the tobacco itself that is a source of some kind of evil. It's the human condition that makes it a problem. Addiction is a harder problem for some people than for others but in the end it is a human problem, not a tobacco problem. Tobacco in and of itself is not capable of being evil, and therefore smoking it can not be a sin just because it can become addictive. That's a puritan view.

If someone is addicted in an incapacitating fashion to something like nicotine then smoking would be sinful for them, not for everyone.

Quote: It is 99% impossible to be a moderate smoker. You can't do it.

Well, I guess I'm part of the 1%, because I can take or leave cigarettes.  I personally favor clove cigarettes once in a blue moon.  I also enjoy the smell of good pipe tobacco too, though I don't smoke a pipe myself, lol.  I would love it if my husband could switch to pipe smoking, but I don't think he can since he is too addicted to cigarettes. 

I do believe that it is possible to moderately smoke.  People did it for centuries before the manufactured kind of cigarettes became standard fare.  I truly believe that there is something about them that is different. 

If a person is capable of smoking moderately, then of course it is not immoral to do so.  The same with alcohol.  If a person has a problem with either one, then they shouldn't do it.  Nicotine may be as addictive as heroin, but it doesn't do the same thing to the body.  The two can't be compared.