Not smoking can be sinful
I can smoke moderately quite easily.  Either just a couple of cigs a day, or a few on a weekend night after a nice dinner.  I only smoke pure tobacco, usually Natural American Spirits.  Maybe that has something to do with my ability to take them or leave them.

I tend to crave them when I watch old movies where everyone smokes, and so sometimes I stop the movie and run out for a pack.  Currently I have not had a cigarrette in maybe 4 or 5 months, because I wanted to lose some weight and thought cigs might discourage me from exercising.  I suppose not exercising is a grave sin as well?

Sophia Wrote:
Quote: It is 99% impossible to be a moderate smoker. You can't do it.

Well, I guess I'm part of the 1%, because I can take or leave cigarettes.  I personally favor clove cigarettes once in a blue moon.  I also enjoy the smell of good pipe tobacco too, though I don't smoke a pipe myself, lol.  I would love it if my husband could switch to pipe smoking, but I don't think he can since he is too addicted to cigarettes. 

I used to smoke a pipe...in fact I tried to quit cigarettes by going exclusively to a pipe and cigars and was successful for 7 or 8 months.  Then I took a job driving a truck for 10-12 hours a day and cigarettes became more convenient at delivering nicotine to my body than packing a pipe every few hours.

I quit completely a 6 months later and I've been nicotine free for almost 9 years!

Still, wish I could enjoy a pipe once in awhile.

I had some nut tell me that my lifting weights was a mortal sin.  It's always the weirdoes who come up with this stuff.

Next thing you know eating an eggwhite omlette will be breaking the fifth Commandment or something equally ludicrous.

When I used to smoke a pipe a couple of times a week (a holdover from days as a philosophy student at the "old" Fordham) I was more relaxed, prayerful and creative.  Most of all, I could deal with the NYC-area traffic with composure and stealth, puffing away on a cute sturdy little briar; listening to classsical music and not honking or swearing or exhibiting road rage.  Now....well, now....no smoking but Oh! What a loss!

A little pipe, a little Pickwick blend and I was a better man for it.  Now I am PCed to DEATH!
Quote:
This priest obviously doesn't know what he is talking about. I am a recovering alcoholic-addict, formerly addicted to alcohol, valium and other tranqs, and nicotine, as in cigarettes. Nicotine is an addicting drug. The literature from Nicotine Anonymous states it is as addicting as cocaine. They did a scientific study on it. It is documented. It is 99% impossible to be a moderate smoker. You can't do it.

Speak for yourself.  I recently started smoking a pipe and find that it is a most enjoyable and relaxing passtime.  Part of what I like about it is that it is GREAT practice of temperance.  "They did a scientifc study on it."  Relying on God's grace overcomes any "science." 

Quote:  
Even non-addicts get addicted to it. And it can be a MORTAL SIN to smoke.

Key word can.  It's not in moderation.

Quote:
Don't tell me, Father Ripperger that smoking isn't a sin, because it is.

Not only is this quite a rude statement, but you are speaking with authority that you don't have.  Again, smoking can be a sin, but it isn't always.
MikeSearson Wrote:Next thing you know eating an eggwhite omlette will be breaking the fifth Commandment or something equally ludicrous.

This could possibly be one of the funniest statements I've ever heard! [Image: jestera.gif]
incrucetrad Wrote:I am a recovering alcoholic-addict, formerly addicted to alcohol, valium and other tranqs, and nicotine, as in cigarettes.

snip

Don't tell me, Father Ripperger that smoking isn't a sin, because it is. And it is not good for you. Nicotine is poison.

Should we toss out the wine and beers as well? I don't want to sound calloused, because there have been points in my life where I was drinking too much whiskey and the like and not being all that productive, and in those times, if I was feeling melodramatic, I might have said I was an alcohol addict or whatnot. However, that propensity to drink too much was a personal weakness. I never saw excessive drinking as the inevitable end for everyone else that enjoys sipping on some SoCo. Could the same apply to you and cigarettes?
With what authority do I say smoking is a sin? Experience and study. The fifth commandment states: Thou shalt not kill. That includes harming yourself and or others or another. Smoking harms the body and the soul and the mind as well. Tobacco contains nicotine which is a very potent drug. If you don't believe me, why don't you search Nicotine Anonymous and read their literature on Nicotine addiction. Nicotine interferes with communication with others. Everytime I had a feeling, I smoked it away. Thus I never got close to anyone and never dealt with my feelings. When I quit, I had terrible rage. I had no idea where it came from. It was suppressed anger--years of it--suppressed by nicotine and alcohol and other drugs, excepting the last four years of my addictions it was just with nicotine. When I quit smoking I found colors were brighter. I could smell things. Smoking deadens your sense of smell and your eyesight as well. I have degenerative disc disease, and smoking makes it worse by causing the discs and bones to deteriorate faster. Ask any neurologist or orthopedist. Smoking gave me asthma. It gave my father lung cancer. It gave my brother emphysema. Smoking hurts others. It does the same thing to the  passive smoker as it does to the active smoker. May I state one other thing I have heard in 12-step programs repeatedly: "DENIAL IS NOT A RIVER IN EGYPT". Most of you are in denial. You do not want to hear the truth for some reason. That is your problem. Fr. Ripperger is probably a good holy priest, but he obviously knows nothing about addictions. I challenge him to find out about them. I challenge you who read this post to find out about them from people like me who have been addicted and who have lost relatives and friends from nicotine addiction or being exposed to it second hand. It is a sin. I don't give a fig what any of you say.
As Catholics, we do not refer to secular sources to determine matters of moral theology.  Everything Catholic that I have looked into on the matter, states that smoking is only a sin if 1.)it is against the law for your location and/or age, or 2.)it is taken to excess.

Catholic sources do say something about unchecked anger being sinful.... [Image: hmmm.gif]
incrucetrad Wrote:Fr. Ripperger is probably a good holy priest, but he obviously knows nothing about addictions. I challenge him to find out about them. I challenge you who read this post to find out about them from people like me who have been addicted and who have lost relatives and friends from nicotine addiction or being exposed to it second hand. It is a sin. I don't give a fig what any of you say.

Being a Doctor of Psychology I'd say he knows plenty about addictions. Fr. Ripperger is also professor of Dogmatic and Moral Theology and Philosophy at Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary. He has room to talk.

If you don't give a "fig" about what we say then you should probably find another place to spew opinion as fact (regarding whether smoking is sinful according to the Church). You obviously don't know what your talking about when it comes to what the Church teaches sin is. Because nicotine is a stimulate, it's addictive and can harm some people when they abuse it doesn't mean that nicotine is wrong because of it's nature. If that were so I hope you've cut out all stimulants from your lifestyle. A mormon lifestyle might be right up your alley.

It appears that you've taken quite a puritan/protestant view of this. If you don't like smoking and have had serious issues with it (and it sounds like you have) then it would be wrong for you to smoke. For a man such as George Burns, for example, who was noted for smoking 10-15 cigars a day it obviously didn't have the same negative effects, he died of natural causes at the age of 100.
incrucetrad Wrote:"DENIAL IS NOT A RIVER IN EGYPT".

Back before I smashed my television (highly recommended) I used to watch Saturday Night Live, and I remember one of the characters using this phrase. He would also say, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dang it, people like me."