Not smoking can be sinful
JLeigh Wrote:Since no one believes in the concept of real "sin" anymore, the liberal idiots running the world have to have something to decry. Smokers make wonderful scapegoats, and it makes the liberals feel good to actually be against something. It's also a wonderful way to raise money -by taxing the smokers to death. It's a great revenue-generator! If people actually stopped smoking, I wonder how they'd recoup all that tax money?

I've done quite a bit of research on all these "smoking kills" studies, and it's putting it mildly to say they are slanted beyond belief. All these "Second-hand smoke kills 4.8 skillion people per year" headlines are nauseating. Why don't they fight other behaviors with equal ferocity? "Gay intercourse kills 3.7 million homosexuals per year", "Don't engage in homosexual behavior. It's dangerous.", "Gay Sex Kills". Talk about risky behavior! AIDS, anyone?? But nooooooo....telling gays to stop engaging in risky sexual activity would be "homophobic" and "discriminating against homosexuals". It's ok to risk infecting people with a deadly, incurable disease, but light up a smoke and you're a pariah in the community. Please. [Image: blah.gif]
Let's get some perspective here.

It's funny, no one cries discrimination against smokers, someone needs to, it might make them think again about their faulty standard.

JLeigh Wrote:Since no one believes in the concept of real "sin" anymore, the liberal idiots running the world have to have something to decry. Smokers make wonderful scapegoats, and it makes the liberals feel good to actually be against something. It's also a wonderful way to raise money -by taxing the smokers to death. It's a great revenue-generator! If people actually stopped smoking, I wonder how they'd recoup all that tax money?

I've done quite a bit of research on all these "smoking kills" studies, and it's putting it mildly to say they are slanted beyond belief. All these "Second-hand smoke kills 4.8 skillion people per year" headlines are nauseating. Why don't they fight other behaviors with equal ferocity? "Gay intercourse kills 3.7 million homosexuals per year", "Don't engage in homosexual behavior. It's dangerous.", "Gay Sex Kills". Talk about risky behavior! AIDS, anyone?? But nooooooo....telling gays to stop engaging in risky sexual activity would be "homophobic" and "discriminating against homosexuals". It's ok to risk infecting people with a deadly, incurable disease, but light up a smoke and you're a pariah in the community. Please. [Image: blah.gif] 

BINGO!  That's why smoking pipes and cigars is so great - it pisses off all the right people.
NorthernTrad Wrote:

BINGO! That's why smoking pipes and cigars is so great - it pisses off all the right people.

Got dat one riyt bruduh. When you see a liberal anti-smoker around you can light up and puff away with a really big grin, and blow it in da wind in their direction. Really makes em happy folks.
JLeigh Wrote:"Gay intercourse kills 3.7 million homosexuals per year", "Don't engage in homosexual behavior. It's dangerous.", "Gay Sex Kills". Talk about risky behavior! AIDS, anyone?? But nooooooo....telling gays to stop engaging in risky sexual activity would be "homophobic" and "discriminating against homosexuals". It's ok to risk infecting people with a deadly, incurable disease, but light up a smoke and you're a pariah in the community.

Next time I hear someone parrot the "Smoking is bad" line, I plan on sharing this little tidbit of politically offensive information: "Sodomy Kills Millions Every Year".

Maybe we should instead talk about how Liberalism, Protestantism, Mohammedanism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Paganism and Atheism condemn billions of souls to Hell for all eternity. That might shed some perspective.
Most of my friends and I smoke cigars.  We have poker nights and we'll get cigars before hand and smoke during the game.  None of them smoke otherwise.  I've smoked one cigarette in my life, it didn't do anything in particular for me, and I want to avoid the possibility of addiction.  But I've smoked cigars and a pipe on and off for two years without any addiction. 

Now, I will admit that I've gotten sick a few times smoking cigars, but each time it was because I was pushing the limits (ie: having a second cigar, or a real dark tobacco).  It is extremely unpleasant to get sick, but I think it is something entirely avoidable through the exercise of moderation.
The argument against tobacco from experience can just as easily be made about alcohol.  Alcoholism destroys lives and families, and in some families seemingly everyone is an alcoholic.  If I and my uncle and my brothers and my grandparents were all alcoholics, would it be rational argumentation to say that therefore all other people can not drink in a responsible fashion?
Charlemagne Wrote:Fun facts:

Fast food is more deadly than cigarettes.

Now who do we see going on crusade against that with the same ferocity as cigarettes? No on‌e = AGENDA.

Anyone read "Fast Food Nation"? It will turn that next Big Mac into vinegar in your mouth. Great book and movie combo.
ServusIesu Wrote:The argument against tobacco from experience can just as easily be made about alcohol.  Alcoholism destroys lives and families, and in some families seemingly everyone is an alcoholic.  If I and my uncle and my brothers and my grandparents were all alcoholics, would it be rational argumentation to say that therefore all other people can not drink in a responsible fashion?

That argument doesn't hold water, you have to do better than that.  There's responsible drinking.  I've never heard of responsible smoking, because there really is no such thing.  People can drink without becoming alcoholics.  All smokers are addicted to nicotine.  Of course you get those who say they smoke "socially", but those people usually do it to fit in. 

This forum is hilarious.  The smokers/those who support smoking get viciously angry in these smoking threads saying that smoking isn't really that bad for you(again, hilarious), meanwhile, the same people are calling for soy milk to be banned?  Is this a joke?  Gay sex kills more people than smoking?  I don't have gay men throwing their AIDS infested bodily fluids on me when I go to a bar, but, I do have to put up with smoke.  Oh that's right, it's YOUR right, and I should go somewhere else, because smokers' rights come first. 

If you want to see the effects of smoking first-hand, look in the mirror people.  You look OLD, you have gum disease(yes, even if you brush), and your teeth are disgusting.  Not to mention that involuntary upbringing of brown phlegm.  Oh no, that's not unhealthy at all! *sarcasm*  My personal fave is the smokers' cough, a real phlegm special.  So attractive!  Yeah, and that smokers' voice is real hot.  Husbands love to feel like they're waking up beside another man.  You may not have all these symptoms now, but believe me, you will, but you already know that. 

Smokers can soothe their guilty consciences however they like, but don't propagandize everyone else and their children, and quit making non-smokers and those of use who care about our health and the health of our children out to be the bad guys. 
Charlemagne Wrote:Fun facts:

Fast food is more deadly than cigarettes.

Now who do we see going on crusade against that with the same ferocity as cigarettes? No on‌e = AGENDA.

Nobody is shoving fast food down everyone else's throats.  People are blowing their smoke all over the place.  Apples and oranges.
trad_cat Wrote:
ServusIesu Wrote:The argument against tobacco from experience can just as easily be made about alcohol. Alcoholism destroys lives and families, and in some families seemingly everyone is an alcoholic. If I and my uncle and my brothers and my grandparents were all alcoholics, would it be rational argumentation to say that therefore all other people can not drink in a responsible fashion?

That argument doesn't hold water, you have to do better than that. There's responsible drinking. I've never heard of responsible smoking, because there really is no such thing. People can drink without becoming alcoholics. All smokers are addicted to nicotine. Of course you get those who say they smoke "socially", but those people usually do it to fit in.

This forum is hilarious. The smokers/those who support smoking get viciously angry in these smoking threads saying that smoking isn't really that bad for you(again, hilarious), meanwhile, the same people are calling for soy milk to be banned? Is this a joke? Gay sex kills more people than smoking? I don't have gay men throwing their AIDS infested bodily fluids on me when I go to a bar, but, I do have to put up with smoke. Oh that's right, it's YOUR right, and I should go somewhere else, because smokers' rights come first.

If you want to see the effects of smoking first-hand, look in the mirror people. You look OLD, you have gum disease(yes, even if you brush), and your teeth are disgusting. Not to mention that involuntary upbringing of brown phlegm. Oh no, that's not unhealthy at all! *sarcasm* My personal fave is the smokers' cough, a real phlegm special. So attractive! Yeah, and that smokers' voice is real hot. Husbands love to feel like they're waking up beside another man. You may not have all these symptoms now, but believe me, you will, but you already know that.

Smokers can soothe their guilty consciences however they like, but don't propagandize everyone else and their children, and quit making non-smokers and those of use who care about our health and the health of our children out to be the bad guys.

"abusus non tollit usum" Abuse is no argument against proper use.

If I drive too fast, I can get ticketed and am dangerous to others on the road, but if I drive at a safe speed there is not as much danger.

If I drink a gallon of whiskey a day I could be big problem, but if I drink a casual glass of wine, I might be a little thoughtful. Everything must be exercised in proper porportion, including alcohol and baccy.