Not smoking can be sinful
trad_cat Wrote:
Cindy Wrote:Years ago, I asked a Priest if it was a 'sin' to smoke. He told me "I would much rather see you smoke in this life time than in the next."
I found out later that Father smokes. [Image: smokin.gif]
He is well into his eighties, and still celebrates the T.L.M.

I love cute stories like this.  You know one person, or even a few who are old and smoke, so that means it's okay and maybe even good for you!  Oh he smokes, I guess that's why he still celebrates the TLM....puh-lease. 

Stop trolling. You seem to have no problem bashing priests and treating others with such blatant disrespect. If you can't use a rational train of thought when arguing and can't treat people with dignity then perhaps you should quit posting.
so smoking is a sin![Image: huh.gif]    The logic being that it can damage your health and shorten your life span.  Yes the evidence points to the fact that heavy smoking does harm  your well being. Secondary smoke the jury is out ( the research based in Asia with confounding variables).
    So whatever is a risk to your health and your life, if you participate in it is a sin!!!  Sorry  but then all of  us  are  damned!  We drive, we fly, we eat fatty foods, we bungee jump, we ski, we swim, we cross the road, we turn electrical objects on and off,  we climb ladders.  The list  goes  on  ad  infinitum,  all of these  activities to a greater or lesser extent  have inherent risk but we deliberately do them.  Yes  smoking is a personnal choice, so are the rest, we conciously choose to do them. Therefore we commit sin all the time?
    Where do you draw the line?  When do you say that's okay?  We each need to think carefully about buying into the party line and going with the blanket condemnation.  Otherwise the pencil pushers and the paperclip merchants  will create  a dry arid wilderness of puritanical  busybodies. And please do not use morality to aid what is a social engineering project .
                                                              God Bless.
That's it, I'm becoming Eastern Orthodox!
Beer

[Image: ratzingerbeer.jpg]

The most radical person you'll ever meet is a former smoker who "gave up the habit" and now feels it's their life mission to convert the rest of us. Get over it, already!

BTW: That's my kind of Pope!

The most radical person you'll ever meet is a former smoker who "gave up the habit" and now feels it's their life's mission to convert the rest of us. Get over it, already!

BTW: That's my kind of Pope!

Edit by Quis - banned users do not get to post on the forum.
Goodbye, Kristin / CuriousCatholic / too_funny / trad_cat / yeah_sure. 

Banned means banned.  It doesn't mean come back through anonymous proxy browsers which, by the way, do log your IP address.

EDIT: fix spelling.

I happened to see the banned user's posting and want to respond to it for his or her own good, as well as to answer dymphna17's question.  Marijuana is not safer than cigarettes; this is a middle school myth. The science shows it is worse for your lungs, heart, and brain. http://www.nida.nih.gov/Infofacts/marijuana.html .   It is a totally different ball game than tobacco because it can cause distorted perception and brain issues.  In other words, you are not going to try flying off a building after smoking a pack of cigarettes, but you might after enough marijuana. 

Hope I'm not out of line; done derailing thread.