Terrier Dies Protecting Kids From Pit Bulls
Updated:2007-05-02 11:40:41Terrier Dies Protecting Kids From Pit BullsAP
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (May 2) - A plucky Jack Russell terrier named George saved five children from two marauding pit bulls, but was so severely mauled in the fight that it had to be put down, its owner said Wednesday.

OD: info_genericpromo - 233373
Sources: AP, American Rare Breed Association, akc.org
Talk About It: Post Thoughts
George was playing with the group of children as they returned home from buying sweets at a neighborhood shop in the small North Island town of Manaia last Sunday when the two pit bulls appeared and lunged toward them, Allan Gay said.

"George was brave - he took them on and he's not even a foot high," Gay told The Associated Press. "He jumped in on them, he tried to keep them off.

"If it wasn't for George, those kids would have copped it."

One of the children, Richard Rosewarne, 11, was quoted in the Taranaki Daily News on Wednesday as saying George fought with the pit bulls to keep them off his 4-year-old brother, Darryl.

"George tried to protect us by barking and rushing at them, but they started to bite him - one on the head and the other on the back," Rosewarne said. "We ran off crying and some people saw what was happening and rescued George."
But George was so badly mauled that a veterinarian had to put him down, Gay said.

South Taranaki District Council official Graham Young said the two pit bulls had been impounded, and likely would be put down because of the attack.

In New Zealand, owners of dogs judged to be too aggressive can be required to have them neutered and dogs involved in attacks are destroyed.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
2007-05-02 10:09:37
[-]
  •
What a brave Scoob. +RIP George.
In other articles I have read, the owners were feeding the Pits Meth to make them more aggressive.  It's the owner who needs to be put down.
I have a Pit. He is trained for search and rescue. They are wonderful dogs-in the right hands.

Jack Russells are brave little dogs! And they do love a challenge...try pulling on some jeans with one in the room. You'll have that oh-so-fashionable gnarled hem in no time :)
irishcatholic Wrote:Jack Russells are brave little dogs! And they do love a challenge...try pulling on some jeans with one in the room. You'll have that oh-so-fashionable gnarled hem in no time :)

I have to agree with you there....our little guy has already found and warned us of the red bellied black snake we had.
[Image: Red-bellied+Black+Snake.jpg]

He barks at every foreign animal and body on our property.

A great little watch dog......who could resist this little face.
[Image: CIMG0043.jpg]

Feeding a Pit Bull methamphetamine! That is terrible. Pit Bulls do get an unfair rap. Many that are bred, trained, and socialized well are good dogs.

Poor George.

As a side note, I think the hardest part of the faith to accept is that dogs do not go to heaven. I know it is childish, but I think dogs like George should go to a doggie heaven or something. Of coruse, I am a goof.

That little hero is going straight to heaven.

Ours (Fred) goes absolutely bonkers if any of the older boys try to play rough with the littlies - hair up on the spine and all.
They are great dogs.
  I heard they are terribly destructive, is this true?  We very much need a good little watchdog, and wanted to get a Jack Russel for our son.  Is the destructive description inaccurate?  I adore the way they look.  (and love the brave little guy who gave it all for the kids)