Vegan Couple Gets Life Over Baby's Death
Cows milk is very hard on the human digestive system (because it's made for cows!).  In babies it causes small amounts of internal bleeding from the intestines, and giving milk to babies under 12 months can cause food allergies.  Even raw milk is hard to digest, because the enzymes in it are for cows, not people.  It also has too many minerals for babies, and more casein rather than whey protein which is great for calves that need to grow big heavy bones very quickly, but not so good for human babies which grow slowly by comparison.

My oldest has allergies to dairy, tree nuts, and peanuts, so he's a soy milk drinker [Image: smile.gif]

With my other two I did not give any solids at all or juice or milk until they were around 12 months old, and I'm doing the same for the baby.  The other kids have no food allergies.
A tragedy, to be sure... but, "Crown Shakur" ???  [Image: huh.gif]

Cyriacus Wrote:Raw milk is almost impossible to buy here in the U.S. Even more unfortunately, cheeses aged less than 60 days must be made with pasteurized milk. Raw mozzarella fresca di bufala is dead out. The Department of Agriculture even conducts raids for the stuff. Not too long ago, there was a Michigan small dairy farmer dealing in raw milk (I believe he sold "jugs that happen to contain milk" to a grocery cooperative) who had over $7,000 in equipment seized.
Hey, small world. That farmer was Richard Hebron, I get my raw milk from him still. He had to pay a $1000 fine to the USDA but the coop is still going; he just can't drop off the people's milk at a commercial/retail licensed food market. That you need a licensed from the government just to sell food scares me more though.

Quote:It reminds me of the silly laws requiring iron fortification of all domestic long grain white rice. The packages advise customers not to rinse the rice without explanation (really, it removes excess starch, but they just don't want the iron powder washed off).
Not to mention that the synthetic vitamins they add to most breads today are unhealthy; buy only whole grain sourdough breads as they're the only ones you can digestive properly.

Quote:Vegans are generally great fun to question, as even the most vocal are often insincere to a degree. "You know that the bubblegum you're chewing contains gelatin derived from beef collagen?" "The charcoal used to purify that filtered, white sugar was in all probability derived from bone char." "The shiny coating on those grocery store apples is partially shellac, an insect excretion." (There is a risk that the harvesting process can scoop the insect up along with the secretion, leading to its death. - Wikipedia)
Most I've talked to, get emotional about it. "Oh, the poor animals" or like comments.

I didn't that about the wax on apple, no wonder I only go for organic non-waxed apples.

AndreasAngelopolitanus Wrote:A tragedy, to be sure... but, "Crown Shakur" ??? [Image: huh.gif]

Maybe they named the baby after Crown Royal whisky and Tupac Shakur? [Image: shrug.gif]
Quote:
Cows milk is very hard on the human digestive system (because it's made for cows!). 

This is what I've been told as well and it makes sense. Cow milk is for baby cows, human breastmilk is for baby humans! :D

If these people were so all-natural, what problems did they have with breastfeeding? That is as natural as you can get! I had one nurse in the hospital last time who congratulated me for choosing "wonderful, God given milk" (and she looked to the ceiling each time she said this) over the substitutes. That poor tiny baby...a parent would have to be an idiot to let their child get down to three pounds before seeking help. For a full term baby, he must have looked beyond emaciated. [Image: sad.gif]