Fans of Dr. W.A. Price -Recipes and tips
nicollette Wrote:What is Kvass? And why is it "liquid gold"? :huh?:

I found this link describing it (with recipes for rye kvass).  I think it basically means fermented beverage.  It is liquid gold because it aids digestion, is full of nutrients, and strengthens your immune system.  It has all of the "healthy bacteria" qualities of yogurt, without the casein that some people have trouble digesting.  It has all the health benefits of beets with even higher nutrition levels than normal because the vitamins aren't cooked out.

When I first started drinking it, I had a little diarhea for a day or two, I think it was my body adjusting to it, or perhaps it caused a "die off" of unhealthy bacteria.  After that, it was clear that it was very soothing to my stomach.  I've had problems with digestion ever since I had my gall bladder removed 18 years ago.  As long as I drink a small glass (about 2 oz) of this stuff with my meal, I never have any problems like I did before.

I've also had great improvement in my skin, blemishes gone, and I'm assuming it's from the friendly bacteria.  My allergies have cleared up significantly, and I haven't been sick since I started using it.  Now this one is weird, but it is a definite effect that I've had;  I've noticed that I can go longer without showering, I feel cleaner, and my armpits don't get stinky.
Is there any way this beet kvass can be made without whey for people with allergies?
ErinisNice:
In theory, I believe you can use a culture starter such as this one.
Have you ever made kombucha? We've had a culture going for a couple of years now. It's very cheap as tea is the base, and its fun to experiment with, We've added honey and plum juice to sweet it up a bit. Sally F says drinks like these fill a primitive urge that modern man tries to satisfy with Budweiser and Coke.

My wife makes chicken liver paté. The livers are cheap and can be bought in bulk. She saute's them with onions and mushrooms in olive oil, and then blends it all up. Slather some of that on a piece of homemade bread in the morning and you're ready for just about anything.

CatholicAgrarian Wrote:Have you ever made kombucha? We've had a culture going for a couple of years now. It's very cheap as tea is the base, and its fun to experiment with, We've added honey and plum juice to sweet it up a bit. Sally F says drinks like these fill a primitive urge that modern man tries to satisfy with Budweiser and Coke.

My wife makes chicken liver paté. The livers are cheap and can be bought in bulk. She saute's them with onions and mushrooms in olive oil, and then blends it all up. Slather some of that on a piece of homemade bread in the morning and you're ready for just about anything.
Kombucha, I have a friend who swears by it. According to her, people in the villages in Russia who drink it don't get cancer. Apparently the cancer rates there are very high except among those people. It tastes pretty good too. This same friend also makes her own bread, yogurt, sour cream, sauerkraut, pickles, and some cheese, not to mention things like beans and granola. I love going to eat over there!

Pate sounds really tasty. I might have to try that.
miss_fluffy Wrote:I've noticed that if I do eat junk food. Say, a fast food burger or something, and wash it down with this stuff, it seems to digest very well.

Don't you find that when your body becomes attuned to eating well that when you do eat fast food or supermarket food with heavy preservatives your body revolts? I stopped a while ago and got a Jack in the Box ciabatta something or the other with large curly fries. It looked good and was delicious going down, but the second I got done I knew it was a bad idea because 1. the excessive amounts of salt made me extremely thirsty 2. the unnatural oils and soy filler made the meal feel like a rock in my stomach
CatholicAgrarian Wrote:Don't you find that when your body becomes attuned to eating well that when you do eat fast food or supermarket food with heavy preservatives your body revolts? I stopped a while ago and got a Jack in the Box ciabatta something or the other with large curly fries. It looked good and was delicious going down, but the second I got done I knew it was a bad idea because 1. the excessive amounts of salt made me extremely thirsty 2. the unnatural oils and soy filler made the meal feel like a rock in my stomach

Definitely, I get the same kind of reactions, and with things like the fries(high in trans fat) I will get to spend a great deal of time in the bathroom about 30 minutes later.  Fast food fries make me so sick I have an aversion to them, and haven't eaten any in many many months.  But the burgers on the other hand.... [Image: gimmefood.gif]... They're quite a temptation for me.  I find that if I follow something like this with an ounce or two of beet kvass, I still get the thirsty thing that you mention, but I don't get the rock in the stomach feeling.
Beets bring back horrible childhood memories of being forced to eat them and then gagging and throwing up. I just REALLY don't like beets! I find taking a good digestive enzyme before each meal really helps me. I guess they're more expensive, but they don't make me gag! :)
-Robin
CatholicAgrarian Wrote:Have you ever made kombucha? We've had a culture going for a couple of years now.

I've got some of that! My family swears by it, so I am starting to take it.
Kombucha can be pretty tasty, but I don't drink it regularly at all.  Do you drink it plain or flavoured?  I've always had fruit or something added to it for good taste!

Pinoy Monk