Ideas on Extremely Large Meal
Friday maybe? You could easily multiply the amounts for more people. From a online Sicilian cookbook:

Spaghetti alla Carretteria
(Cart Driver's Pasta)

Ingredients:

1 pound spaghetti
6 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili
Sea salt
Grated pecorino cheese or ricotta salata (salted)

Directions:

Bring a large pot of water to boil then add salt. As soon as the water returns to a full boil, add the spaghetti and stir.

Pour the olive oil in a large pan over moderately high heat, then add the garlic, tomatoes, basil and chili. Simmer for several minutes, then lower the temperature and salt to taste.

When the pasta is cooked 'al dente', drain and toss into the pan with the sauce and stir well. Transfer the pasta to a large bowl and serve with either grated pecorino or ricotta salata cheese.

Note: A variation of this recipe, especially good during hot summer months, is to combine the tomatoes, garlic, basil, chili and olive oil in a large bowl. Salt to taste, and then mix the ingredients into a loose paste. Toss in the drained pasta, then stir. Serve with grated cheese.
catheotimus Wrote:How about PASTA FAGIOLI ??!! If you have a big crockpot and can borrow a coupla-few more, you could throw this together EASY in the morning and let it simmer all day. I don't know anyone--kids or adults-- that hasn't loved this dish and asked for the recipe. IF there's any left (!!) it's even better the next day. (But add a little water or broth.) It's also very forgiving and easy to amend to whatever your tastes are. Here's the basic recipe, if your crockpots are large, you can double the amount in each.  Serve with baskets full of slices of fresh crusty bagette. (mmmm...I think I may have talked myself into this Friday's dinner!) Good luck! -Robin

PASTA FAGIOLI SOUP

2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) whole tomatoes
2 cans (10 1/2 oz. each) beef broth
1 can (15 1/2 oz.) Great Northern beans
2 cups water
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon liquid hot pepper sauce
1 cup dry shell pasta, cooked according to package directions

Combine all ingredients, except pasta in crock pot stoneware.

Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours (HIGH 4 hours).

Stir in hot cooked and drained pasta and serve.

What do you substitute for the beef broth on Fridays?
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
dominusvobiscum Wrote:Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any good recipes for a LARGE some what inexpensive meal. Next weekend we will be feeding around 80 people and I am trying to find ideas that won't cost an arm and a leg. The meal I am the most stumped on is the one for Friday. If you have any good (meatless) ideas please let me know. Thanks and God Bless.

Carrie, if you are going to be in town before hand, let me know what I can do to help. :)

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:What do you substitute for the beef broth on Fridays?

ahhh....my bad! Sorry 'bout that. But of course, VEGETABLE broth! :)
catheotimus Wrote:
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:What do you substitute for the beef broth on Fridays?

ahhh....my bad! Sorry 'bout that. But of course, VEGETABLE broth! :)

Hey, about some [Image: wine.gif] ???

AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:[Hey, about some [Image: wine.gif] ???

Hey, why not??? Actually, I first wondered if the wine might have some break-down effect on the beans, but I googled wine and beans, and there were several recipes that popped up, so I guess it's fine! (and there were some using either red or white) I would probably start with 1/4 to 1/3 of the total liquid, adding to taste. I didn't mention, also, that I like to use a very small pasta like ditalini, but if you can't find it, any small type will do.
-Robin
Thank you for all the suggestions. They will all come in very handy for the up coming weekend.