Beef E.Coli Alert! 15 States!
Thought this was worth posting...hope no one here will be affected!
-Robin

129,000 pounds of beef recalled in 15 states
Meat products in 15 states may be contaminated, agriculture agency says
The Associated Press
Updated: 11:00 a.m. CT May 17, 2007
<SCRIPT language=javascript> function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633150144182430000');</SCRIPT>

KALAMAZOO, Mich. - A meat company is recalling 129,000 pounds of beef products in 15 states because of possible E. coli contamination, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said.

The meat products are made by Davis Creek Meats and Seafood and were made for Gordon Food Service stores, the USDA said Wednesday on its Web site.

The beef products were made between March 1 and April 30 and were shipped to distribution centers and retailers in Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

The items under recall include boxes of mechanically tenderized steaks and ground beef of different weights. The boxes are labeled “Est. 1947A”.

Symptoms of E. coli include stomach cramps that may be severe and diarrhea that may turn bloody within one to three days. E. coli sometimes can lead to complications including kidney failure.

2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.<SCRIPT>var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('/did/') + 1;if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('/print/1/') + 1;}if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>0){url = url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+'
');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard \nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}}</SCRIPT>URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18721356/

What is so frightening about this... products made between March 1st and April 30th??  I sure do hope these are frozen products.  How long of a shelf life does fresh beef have anways?
[Image: whacky098.gif] I need my eyes checked. I thought it said BEER E.Coli! Or maybe I just need a beer. [Image: beer.gif]
I'm definitely passing this on to my mom. Thanks!

Wow, Spooks, I don't know which would be worse! LOL. Fluffy, I'm guessing it's pre-packaged frozen from the sound of it...but I could be wrong. Also, of course, lots of folks buy their meat fresh and freeze it...considering that possibility it's not really that old. As for shelf-life of fresh meat, I've always used it within 3 days (deli meats within 5-7), probably because that's how my Mom always did it, and we're all still alive! :)
-Robin