Smoking cessation.
Has anyone else successfully quit smoking? I'd be interested to know what has been helpful. I've been smoking 10-15 cigarettes a day for almost 10 years now and would like to quit. I'm getting to the age where I have to start taking my health more seriously. There's a lot of cancer in my family, and I have high cholesterol as it is. But what has really got me lately is that I have put on some extra "baggage", and I have been trying to exercise more regularly, mostly biking, and I find that my lung power is gone before the rest of my body is ready to quit. It's frustrating to just get to the point where I really feel that I'm doing really well and have to stop because I'm winded.

I've tried going cold turkey before, but old habits die hard. I really can't tell how much of this is a physical addiction to nicotine or how much is the powerful psychological association with relaxation. I'm going to schedule an appointment with the doctor this week or next. Anyone have any success with patches, gum, etc?
I'm a smoker myself, but I don't want to quit right now. I did quit once a few years back, and I used the patch. I will never, ever use the patch again. The patch literally made me afraid to go to sleep. One of it's known side-effects is that it can cause you to have horrible and bizarre dreams, which makes for a very restless night. The other thing it did was burn the heck out of my skin. I haven't tried the gum, though.
That's definitely good to know - I have sleeping difficulties, too, and find that I am very sensitive to medication-induced nightmares. Nothing's worse than actually going to sleep at a decent hour only to be startled awake in a cold-sweat fright four hours later!
I stopped smoking through Our Lady's intercession and the Rosary. No withdrawals at all.

If you can push back that first cigarette of the day for an hour, then another hour, etc., and pray; you will gradually wean yourself from the bad habit and replace it with a good one... prayer.

[Image: prayer3.gif]
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
I quit using the patch. No strange dreams for me though (well, none any stranger than I already have anyway.)

I tried once using the gum, but I didn't like it because it's meant to "park" in your mouth. If you swallow too much of the nicotine it can make you sick to your stomach or give you the hiccups.

I've actually heard that if you don't wear the patch at night, you can avoid the unpleasant dreams. My sister in college knows some people who aren't smokers, but wear the patch at night on purpose just to have the trippy dreams! :p
Switch to a pipe.

I started smoking at age twelve and was at a pack a day by the time I was eighteen. When I got married I sort of naturally limited my smoking to certain times – to and from work, on break, after dinner. I gradually dropped a ciggy here and there for various reasons (too cold outside, too early, too late, etc) and eventually found myself smoking no more than a pack a week. When our first children were born I couldn't bring myself to light up anymore so I dropped the habit overnight. I still have one once in awhile but certainly not more than five or six in a year. I think the best approach is just to remove one cigarette from your routine at a time. That's not asking too much of yourself and before you know it you'll be down to an amount that won't even seem worth the effort to spend any time or money on.

Mornac Wrote:

When our first children were born I couldn't bring myself to light up anymore so I dropped the habit overnight.

Same story here. I actually waited until until our oldest was about 2 and was able to ask, "Why are you doing that?" On th rare occasion I make it into a bar I'll smoke a pack, and then won't smoke again for 6 mos.
I smoked from about age 18 till I was 45 years old. I am now 65 years old. At the age of 41 I got clean and sober in a 12 step program. It worked. After 4 years clean and sober, I realized I was still on a drug--nicotine. I decided to go to Nicotine Anonymous, a 12-Step program for people who are addicted to nicotine in any form. That together with lots of prayer, helped me to quit smoking and to stay quit. It wasn't easy. Quitting an addiction is never easy. But I did not have to do it alone. I had to "work the Steps" too. I have to continue to "work the Steps". Nicotine Anonymous has  meetings all over the world, but especially here in the USA. Check it out on the internet and you can find a meeting near you. Good luck and God help you to do this.---Paulette B.