What do you make of this?
ggreg Wrote:
Catholicmilkman Wrote:Many US Patent Office employees even said it worked but the agency still wouldn't give him a patent. If it really works we should be looking into it.

So he says.

If you have invented an above unity machine you don't wait 20 years to try and get a patent.  [/QUOTE]
Well, he did wait 20 years because that was over 20 years ago when he tried and they wouldn't.

Quote:Whatever happens you are (A) going to be stinking rich just from making guest appearances and enjoying the thanks and praise of the world and (B) you will not be able to defend all the patent breaches anyway.  Can you honestly imagine Japan or China or Indonesia not copying your design?

Morally speaking nobody has a right to own and control an invention of this magnitude.  Faraday didn't patent electricity nor should any man or corporation be allowed to control an invention of this importance to the world.

Patent law is a relatively modern concept and a sometimes unjust one.

You only have 5 weeks to wait to see whether Steorn have cracked it.

I totally agree.
ggreg Wrote:Morally speaking nobody has a right to own and control an invention of this magnitude. Faraday didn't patent electricity nor should any man or corporation be allowed to control an invention of this importance to the world.

You can't patent electricity, but you can patent a device to generate electricity - two different things. And what's immoral is to decide that someone's labor is too "important" and refuse to pay the worker for it. If someone spends the time and money to invent something, he deserves compensation for it. If he wants to give it away for free, great. If not, and he knows it's going to be made public and everyone allowed to make one, he's not going to bother inventing it in the first place.
actiofidei Wrote:
QuisUtDeus Wrote:Magnets give free energy.  They put out more than goes in, and they never run out.
What do you mean by this?

They store unlimited potential energy.  When you use the energy, you don't have to recharge them like batteries.  When you split an atom, you lose the atom.  With magnets, this isn't so.  They work.

Quote:
QuidUtDeus Wrote:There could be a loophole in magnetism that allows for over unity energy.
I think this might be on the top ten list for how to assure never obtaining a post in academia. :titanic:

Well, I ain't a physicist.  If I were, we might have zero-point energy by now.  :P
Paul Wrote:
ggreg Wrote:Morally speaking nobody has a right to own and control an invention of this magnitude. Faraday didn't patent electricity nor should any man or corporation be allowed to control an invention of this importance to the world.

You can't patent electricity, but you can patent a device to generate electricity - two different things. And what's immoral is to decide that someone's labor is too "important" and refuse to pay the worker for it. If someone spends the time and money to invent something, he deserves compensation for it. If he wants to give it away for free, great. If not, and he knows it's going to be made public and everyone allowed to make one, he's not going to bother inventing it in the first place.

Did the builders of Europe's great Cathedrals get lavishly paid by the Catholic church?  Did Van Gogh die a rich man?  Did the great composers make a fortune?  No.

Lots of people bother to do all sorts of things out of human interest and love for their hobby.  Patent laws are entirely arbitrary things and very recent things and often mis-used.  Many things have been developed and invented long before they came along.  Inventors of new technologies should have SOME legal protection but if someone discovers a technology that can cure AIDS or Malaria or produces free-energy from the ZPE field or magnetosphere then they should not be able to sit on it and milk the rest of the world while they become a billionaire.  Let's speculate that I had invented an explosive that could destroy a whole country.  Should I be allowed to patent that and sell it to the Muslims?  Of course not.

Besides, if one has an invention big enough Governments will simply change the laws.