Marty: Nuns show beer can lower cholesterol
From Dowd's Brews Notebook

For all those people who attended Catholic schools and remember getting their knuckles rapped by nuns, here's something nuns did that may please you.

Quote:They just had to get that knuckle-rapping nun shot in didn't they?

A study funded by the Spanish Beer Makers' Association showed a group of 50 normally non-drinking Cistercian nuns had their cholesterol levels reduced by an average of 6% when they drank a regular half-liter of beer for 45 days.

Would nuns lie?

Apparently, the hops are the catalyst for the cholesterol loss, and beer need not contain alcohol or be consumed in large quantities to be effective, according to something called the Centre for Information on Beer and Health which conducted the study.

The Spanish nuns drank a half-liter of beer a day for 45 days, then stopped for six months. Then they took 400 milligrams of hops daily for 40 days. The cholesterol reduction was the same both ways. Which probably came as good news for at least one participant.

"To be honest, if I needed it to reduce cholesterol or whatever I'd continue to drink it, but I wouldn't just drink beer (for itself) because I don't like it," Sister Maria Jose told Spanish state television RTVE.

Never argue with a Nun.
Be a nun, don't drink soy.

Mornac Wrote:Be a nun, don't drink soy.

:laughing:
Be a Nun, drink beer.
Do real nuns wear pink?
Some do! The Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters, at least... this is a link to one of their convents.
http://www.mountgraceconvent.org/
Those look like real nuns to me!

It's nice to see different colored habits.  Nothing wrong with black, mind you, but I always like the colorful ones as well.
Same here... have you seen the Franciscan Minims of O.L. of Perpetual Help? Now that's colorful! And there are one or two orders with teal habits, too, and the Sisters of the Assumption, I think, wear purple. Oh yes... black and dark blue are fine, but the colored ones are so neat to see.
Ha!  This explains it!  My husband seldom/rarely drinks and has high cholesterol.  I have to have a little nip of something every night to help me get to sleep, sometimes wine, sometimes beer, and my blood pressure is right on the money and I have no cholesterol issues.

I'll show him this thread and see if I can't end his teetotaling ways.  [Image: beer.gif]
Praise the Lord and pass the pitcher!
 [Image: beer.gif]  [Image: beer.gif]  [Image: beer.gif]  [Image: beer2.gif]  [Image: beer.gif]  [Image: beer.gif]  [Image: beer.gif]