Dental phobia
Am I the only idiot here who suffers from this?

Last Monday (due at least in part to prayers from Catholicmilkman - thanks! [Image: tiphat2.gif]) I finally made it to a dentist.  He told me all about IV sedation.  I wish I'd known about it years ago.  He is going to do all the work in one go next Thursday.  His nurse assures me I'll barely be there, completely chilled out.

I was so ashamed of the state of my teeth but told no one - I knew they would only nag me to go to the dentist.

Am I really the only one?

I hate going to the dentist. I don't even like getting my teeth cleaned. Nasty gritty polish stuff. Ack.

I like the nitrous, though.

S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
I have that problem, and I know some people who are way worse off than me.

I always ask for my dentist to call in a prescription of valium for me to take before the appointment.  It turns it into a fun experience! Ha ha!
Ya, man, laughing gas--it's the only way to go! When you choose a dentist, look in the phone book for something like "gentle dental" or "we cater to cowards"... :)
-Robin
miss_fluffy Wrote:I have that problem, and I know some people who are way worse off than me.

I always ask for my dentist to call in a prescription of valium for me to take before the appointment.  It turns it into a fun experience! Ha ha!

Valium is a brilliant plan.
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
What's nitrous?

Ger Wrote:What's nitrous?

Laughing gas...makes things go with a grin...
I also cannot stand going to the dentist but try to go as regularly as possible.  My husband never goes unless he HAS to go and when he HAS to go, he's sorry he didn't go regularly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mum is worse.  She had a bad experience as a child where she had to have an extraction without an anaesthetic and, as a result, she has never liked going to the dentist since.

My cousin used to tease his daughter and tell her that the dentist stands on her and holds her down while he extracts all her teeth!!!!!!!!!!!!!  As a result, she has never liked going.  No wonder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think the majority of us need laughing gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well I certainly don't like going to the dentist, but it's not that bad, even when I had to have an impacted wisdom tooth surgically extracted.  Oh, it was bloody bad afterward, but I survived.  I have a rather high tollerance for pain though, as I am in remission from RSD [a chronic pain disorder], and nothing comes close to that pain, not even cancer, if the experts are to be believed.  No, I wouldn't wish that on anyone!

Probably the worst part of going to the dentist is that it takes me away from my books!  For some reason, they won't allow you to read whilst they do their work, the bloody Nazis . . .
An idea Ger...........As far as I know the dentists in Northern Ireland have a licence to use laughing gas etc. whereas the ones in the Republic don't. It's also WAY cheaper if you feel like taking a trip to Belfast. They do prescribe Valium here though. And yes I am a nervous wreck about the dentist too. I absolutely dread it . After every pregnancy I need fillings. The pregnancy seems to affect my teeth badly. Anyone else experience this?