Dental Health (Ginette) + Weston A. Price
Ginette Wrote:After every pregnancy I need fillings. The pregnancy seems to affect my teeth badly. Anyone else experience this?

I hope that the original poster doesn't mind me copying this to a new thread.

To my understanding, Dr. Weston A. Price (google him if you're interested) always spoke of traditional (non-"Westernised", isolated peoples) cultures as always providing pregnant women with special foods in order to help the process.

I did a brief look at the Weston A. Price Foundation website and found this brief mention:

http://www.westonaprice.org/children/dietformothers.html

Others on this board (to my memory) are interested in nutrition, and several, I believe, have read some of the WAP materials far more than I have.  Hopefully they can come up with a lot more details than I was able to throw into this mess of a post.

G'luck,

Pinoy Monk
Thanks PinoyMonk. I'll have a good look at the link when I get a minute.
Ya know, this is an excellent subject to bring up.  While I love the Weston Price philosophy and all, there's something about the information for pregnancy diets that have me confused.

They strongly recommend large amounts of vitamin A containing foods for pregnant mothers.  And it's explained how studies that indicate problems with Vitamin A are done with synthetic vitamin A, or vitamin A based synthetic medications such as accutane and such.  That makes sense, okay.

But then, when I look at their examples of healthy WAP babies, they have this baby with cleft palate.  The mother attributes the cleft palate to lack of raw milk (which seems silly since plenty of babies without cleft palate are born whose moms never drank raw milk).

Now as I'm reading my contemporary nutrition textbook, it tells me that high quantities of vitamin A during pregnancy can cause cleft palate???!!!  I have to say, it leaves me more than a little concerned.  I'm still taking cod liver oil, and eating some liver here and there, but no where near the amounts recommended on the link PM provides.  But then sometimes, I think maybe I should get more cod liver oil, and just ignore the conventional warnings and decide that they don't pertain to natural sources of vitamin A.
What is the benefit of the extra Vitamin A?

There are risks to too much so you need to ask yourself what is the benefit of taking in more than you need since it is fat soluble and your body stores the excess instead of excreting it.
It's the benefit of any kind of liver product that is emphasized by Dr. Price.  He has done tons of research that found that mothers who ate lots of liver and animal fats during pregnancy, had better health, and healthier children.

But now today we have doctors that recommend against eating liver products because all liver products are high in vitamin A.  However, the studies on vitamin A toxicity are all based on synthetic Vitamin A, not liver. 

I'm asking the same question you are KMomto6.  There is very conflicting information out there.
miss_fluffy Wrote:It's the benefit of any kind of liver product that is emphasized by Dr. Price.Ê He has done tons of research that found that mothers who ate lots of liver and animal fats during pregnancy, had better health, and healthier children.

But now today we have doctors that recommend against eating liver products because all liver products are high in vitamin A.Ê However, the studies on vitamin A toxicity are all based onÊsynthetic Vitamin A, not liver.Ê

I'm asking the same question you are KMomto6.Ê There is very conflicting information out there.

I had understood that organ meats are not recommended not because of Vit A but because of the high cholesterol they usually contain. I know that high Vit A foods aren't recommended for those with gout/ high uric acid but I haven't heard of a global recommendation against them. Interesting.

Define 'healthier' mothers and babies? What is the quantifiers/qualifiers that high volume of high Vit A foods make one healthier. 'healthy' is a broad and subjective term.

Once you can take the subjectiveness out of the advice and have objective facts like:

" 'X' mg of Vit A/ day in my diet will do a,b and c for me and my baby "

whether a,b and c are negative or positive will help you make your decisions.
kmomto6 Wrote:I had understood that organ meats are not recommended not because of Vit A but because of the high cholesterol they usually contain.

Now to me, that sounds like very bad advice.  Growing babies need lots of cholesterol and fats to build cells. 

Have you read anything about traditional diet philosophies Kmomto6?  For a primer on Weston A Price, I'd recommend this online book: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration 

It is hard science that dietary cholesterol does not lead to blood cholesterol.  It's sugars (all kinds, natural and manufactured) that trigger your liver to pump out bad cholesterol.  Cholesterol and fat in the diet is quickly assimilated and used for energy and cell maintenance.

Did you know that all the membranes of every cell in your body are made of fats?  We need animal fats in our diet to maintain those cells.

The health benefits that Dr. Price concluded were a result of having certain foods, including lots of liver, in a pregnant woman's diet were many.  Good jaw structure, and no need to have wisdom teeth removed.  Fewer dental carries.  More space in the sinus cavities which meant fewer respiratory problems later in life, such as deviated septum, or sleep apnea.  Better recovery from fevers, or just about any disease or parasite.  Just general hardiness.
miss_fluffy Wrote:[quote='kmomto6']
I had understood that organ meats are not recommended not because of Vit A but because of the high cholesterol they usually contain.

Now to me, that sounds like very bad advice.Ê Growing babies need lots of cholesterol and fats to build cells.Ê

I wasn't speaking about pregnant women and their babies in that reference. I don't think there is anyone out there that advocates low cholesterol for pregnant women as it is very necessary for brain development.

Or my agreement or disagreement in regards to that advice, I was only saying that I have never heard of any doctor or nutritionist advise against organ meats except in the case of cholesterol and gout.

And aren't all cells made of proteins?
Cells are made of lots of things including proteins, but their membranes, and some other parts I'm sure, are made of fats.

The march of dimes recommends not eating too much liver:

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/159_826.asp

I've a nutrition textbook at home that says no liver for pregnant women.
the cell membrane is made up of both lipids(fat) and protein the fat prevents water from freely traveling into the cell  through osmosis which would cause the cell to rupture and the proteins, well they do a lota stuff if i remember my high school biology class.