Weird question for those who believe in a literal interpretation
of Genesis.

Genesis 3:14
The Lord God said to the serpent, Because you have done this, cursed are you above all cattle, and above all wild animals; upon your belly you shall go, and dust you shall eat all the days of your life.

Do you believe that snakes are evil and cursed creatures? 

I think Our Lord is referring to Satan as even less than animals who are wild and banal because he is so evil and so discusting that he makes the dirtiest animal look glorious. I do not think God has cursed snakes, that really wouldn't make much sense.
I think snakes originally had legs, as the passage would seem to indicate, and that Satan under the form of a serpent is cursed. I'm not sure whether you can say that "the snakes is cursed," per se, because I don't know how that's possible, and what difference it'd make. A human can be cursed, but a snake is an animal... it's only endowed with a material soul, and I don't know how it can be worse or better off, if you see what I mean.
Historically, snakes have typically been viewed as wise, crafty, but in a very tricky and evil way. I have no problem thinking that snakes are especially cursed or evil, lower than cattle, for example, if I should be instructed as such by the Church. I am not, however, familiar with the take of the fathers on that passage, so I simply don't know.

The serpent is actually more symbolic in Genesis.  The Fall story was written durring the Babylonian captivity when the Israelites were apostizing and converting to Babylonian and Summerian pagan religions.  The most popular of which was the cult of Baal, symbolized by a serpent.  Also, the devil "took the form of a serpent", to tempt Adam and Eve, much like he took the form of Baal to tempt and lure the Israelites.

Remember, the Bible is a work of Divine Inspiration which is why the Church does not reccomend "Bible Study" without the guidance of a Priest.

I used to keep snakes as pets and even bred them for a few years...Forest Cobras are probably the most intelligent reptile I have ever witnessed.  One in particular I owned demonstarted so much intelligence (as well as lethality) that I had to get rid of it.

Snakes of the Boid family (oldest members of the order squamata) have vestigal hind-legs resembling spurs by the cloacal region.  The males' tend to be slightly longer than females.  It is believed by some that at one time these animals had legs and no longer have need for them.

I don't believe God would curse an entire family of animals, which are some of the most beneficial on earth keeping the rodent population in check.

Well I don't go for the strict literal interpretation (6 day creation and all that) of Genesis, but I was wondering the opinion of those who do.

This is my "little" Flannery:
[Image: IMG_2098.jpg]

Python Regalis...the Ball Python or Royal Python.

Nice little snakes (except the adults that go on hunger strikes)
Here's the Haydock Commentary on that verse:

Quote:Ver. 14. Cursed. This curse falls upon the natural serpent, as the instrument of the devil; who is also cursed at the same time by the Holy Ghost. What was natural to the serpent and to man in a state of innocence, (as to creep, &c. to submit to the dominion of the husband, &c.) becomes a punishment after the fall. (St. Chrysostom) --- There was no enmity, before, between man and any of God's creatures; nor were they noxious to him. (Tirinus) --- The devil seems now to crawl, because he no longer aspires after God and heavenly things, but aims at wickedness and mean deceit. (Menochius)

If cursed simply means to crawl...I can accept that.

That I don't believe snakes are inherrently evil  or satanic is the point I was trying to make.
But spiders are inherently evil. Evil. EEEEEEEEEVILLLLLL!!!!
So are ants.