Weird question for those who believe in a literal interpretation
Spiders rock!

So do mantises!

Only animals I have no use for are rats and mice.
My grandmother is a literalist of the rural Baptist variety, which of course means more bizarre assumptions than literal truth.

When I was a small child, my grandmother explained to me the dark skin of black people through some extreme biblical extrapolation. She claims to have learned it as a little girl herself in the 1930s, and her entire family believed it, so the idea may have had some degree of circulation.

Anyway, she told me that when the Tower of Babel was built, ultimately resulting in the scattering of races and the confusion of tongues, the ancestors of the blacks, being the most defiant to God, went first and were located at the top of the tower-in-construction. The ancestors of the whites, being more hesitant, were at the bottom of the tower when the Lord came down. As God came down from the sky, those at the top were closest to the wrathful God and had their skin seared by his presence. The whites, while still scattered, were not burnt. To this day, blacks bear the physical marks of their ancestors' hubris.

Back to the matter of Eden: she was taught that snakes originally had legs but lost them as punishment (which strikes me as inane as old Indian myths explaining the fox's baculum). Men are punished with Adam's apples for Adam having tasted the forbidden fruit (it stuck there and presumably multiplied through the generations) and women are punished with submission to their husbands, pains in childbirth, and menstruation. Men have one less rib than women, but there is uncertainty which side is missing the rib.

Here's a Baptist interpretation related to literalism that really shocked me....the belief that it did not rain at all in the history of the world up until the Flood......because it does not explicitly state in the Bible that it rained at any other time before that.    ???????

My reaction to that was, "well, it doesn't say explicitly that anybody went to the bathroom, either, but I'm sure it happened."

Somewhat more on topic...I don't think snakes or any created object could (theologically) be considered evil, could they?  Isn't believing that the material world is inherently sinful the Gnostic heresy?  Anything created by God is inherently good, and evil exists only through our free will?
DesperatelySeeking Wrote:Here's a Baptist interpretation related to literalism that really shocked me....the belief that it did not rain at all in the history of the world up until the Flood......because it does not explicitly state in the Bible that it rained at any other time before that. ???????

My reaction to that was, "well, it doesn't say explicitly that anybody went to the bathroom, either, but I'm sure it happened."

Somewhat more on topic...I don't think snakes or any created object could (theologically) be considered evil, could they? Isn't believing that the material world is inherently sinful the Gnostic heresy? Anything created by God is inherently good, and evil exists only through our free will?

Actually, it is possible that it never rained until the Flood, that the earth may have been covered atmospherically by something that kept it warm, misty, humid and perfect for dinosaurs.

As far as curses go, recall that Christ cursed a fig tree too. Some things are meant prophetically/symbolically, not literally.  The fig tree curse was one, and I think the serpent curse was another.
If it makes you feel any better, not everyone who holds to the strict literal interpretation is a nutball, at least, I don't think I'm a nutball [Image: crazy.gif].

I don't think snakes are anymore cursed than we are.  I take the whole thing pretty literally, but there's alot of room for interpretation, ALOT of room.  I accept that I may never fully understand exactly what happened. 

But what I think it means is that the serpent, a real animal, cooperated with the devil in order to help him take a flesh form, so that he could better communicate with Adam and Eve.  For playing this part, I believe God cursed the snake, and all it's future offspring.  Much in the same way that Adam and Eve and all their future offspring were cursed.  Snakes are no more evil than man, but they are tainted with the curse caused by that original snake parent.  It's more a bummer for the snake than making it particularly evil.

MikeSearson Wrote:Python Regalis...the Ball Python or Royal Python.

Nice little snakes (except the adults that go on hunger strikes)

I've heard a lot of stories about what fussy eaters they are but so far we haven't had that problem.  However, she will only eat mice and not rats which is a pain because mice are so small.
ErinIsNice Wrote:
MikeSearson Wrote:Python Regalis...the Ball Python or Royal Python.

Nice little snakes (except the adults that go on hunger strikes)

I've heard a lot of stories about what fussy eaters they are but so far we haven't had that problem. However, she will only eat mice and not rats which is a pain because mice are so small.

I ended up with an angora hamster as a pet when the ball python owned by a friend of mine refused to eat it, and he was afraid the hamster would start chewing on his snake. So I took the little monster home.His snake would only eat smooth short haired rodents. Go figure.
Evil? No. Cursed? Yes. I haven't ever really thought that much about that passage but I do in fact believe that not only snakes are cursed but all the material world is cursed because of Man. We were created on the top as leader of this world by our "double" nature of body and soul hence it is only natural that everything we fallen rule becomes fallen too especially since it was all made for us. That does not mean it's evil in and of itself but only fallen.
i have heard that the word "serpent" can also be translated as beguiler or trickster, it seems satan took the form of something snakelike to decieve eve, but then again if you take it literally, then you must believe that snakes had the power of speech before the fall.....
 i personally don't believe all snakes to this day are cursed,much less bats or black cats.
Quote: This is my "little" Flannery

Erin, that is the cutest snake I've ever seen! [Image: smile.gif]