Weird question for those who believe in a literal interpretation
Deidre Wrote:
Quote: This is my "little" Flannery

Erin, that is the cutest snake I've ever seen! [Image: smile.gif]

My oldest and I are allergic to cats so she was our substitute![Image: laff.gif]
charlesmartel Wrote:...but then again if you take it literally, then you must believe that snakes had the power of speech before the fall...

No, just the one serpent. If satan took the form of a serpent he could make sure it spoke. If he possessed a serpent, he could make sure it spoke.

It seems pretty simple to explain to me.

Clare.
Clare Wrote:
charlesmartel Wrote:...but then again if you take it literally, then you must believe that snakes had the power of speech before the fall...

No, just the one serpent. If satan took the form of a serpent he could make sure it spoke. If he possessed a serpent, he could make sure it spoke.

It seems pretty simple to explain to me.

Clare.
makes perfect sense to me.He could have possesed a chicken pot pie and made it  speak,does'nt neccesarily mean that are pies are cursed.maybe  just that one.(Although I have heard of cases of snakes that actually do eat dust for the digestive tract.)
the serpent was described as the most "subtil" of the beasts of the field,and that was before he was cursed by the Lord,subtil meaning crafty or cunning.satan is described as a deciever and a liar from the very beginning,and serpents being akin to snakes,so snakes got a bad rap for a long time....the question is,in what form was the serpent before he decieved eve,no one really knows the answer to that question,it certainely never described in scripture,as also never telling us that the other animals had the ability to speak.....if satan did indeed poosses one of God's creatures,the Lord would've had to allow him to do it,also if none of the animals were speaking at the time, this should've sent a red flag up to the woman that this was a supenatural being goading her into committing an act in direct conflict with her maker,but thats another discussion..
the question was are all present day snakes cursed because of the serpent decieving eve,it doesn't necessarily say that,but God cursed adam and eve,and that curse holds still on all of us today.......

the hammer
ErinIsNice Wrote:of Genesis.

Genesis 3:14
The Lord God said to the serpent, Because you have done this, cursed are you above all cattle, and above all wild animals; upon your belly you shall go, and dust you shall eat all the days of your life.

Do you believe that snakes are evil and cursed creatures? 

I think there are different levels of meaning in Genesis, and often an overlapping of both literal and symbolic.. Now by this I'm not saying the 6 day account of creation is absolutely literal, just that there seem to be more than one single way of interpreting certain parts..