Feeling faint while kneeling?
If I'm kneeling for a long time and my legs start to fall asleep or my knees start complaining loudly I sort of, uh, park my butt on the pew so I'm doing a half sit/half kneel. That way I don't disturb the person behind me who is kneeling if you know what I mean.
Maybe that could help? [Image: shrug.gif]

Kneeling isn't a hard and fast rule, it's a custom that's developed over time. If we have some minor reason not to kneel, that suffices to excuse us from any obligation. Many parents, for instance, have difficulty kneeling if they have several very young children to keep control of, and certainly any medical reason (feeling faint, kneeling is too hard to endure, weak knees, etc.) suffices to justify sitting. I'd say the only thing that wouldn't justify sitting is "I've been kneeling for 35 seconds and my knees are getting a bit sore." :)

That said, I'm not a doctor but I can kind of visualize the situation. I'm not sure about passing out, but I know there have been times, in a warm chapel, lots of people, silence, kneeling for several minutes, when I've gotten a bit light-headed, and I know others can be the same way. If your dd is not strong enough physically to kneel for the amount of time required, then she should definitely sit down. Eventually, when she's older and stronger, she'll probably not think a thing about kneeling all the times where it's customary to do so.
Quote:
If I'm kneeling for a long time and my legs start to fall asleep or my knees start complaining loudly I sort of, uh, park my butt on the pew so I'm doing a half sit/half kneel.

LOL Spooky! You have a way with words!

I do that too btw, but never could have put it so well.
When I was about twelve, I went through a phase of feeling dizzy, started sweating and felt faint at Mass whether I was standing, sitting or kneeling.  The panic I felt was awful.  Eventually my Mother decided that maybe I was claustrophobic because we usually ended up in the middle of the pew surrounded by people on both sides, front and back.  She then put me right next to the aisle and that solved the problem.

To this day (I'm now 44), I always try and sit next to the aisle.  Don't want that feeling again!!!!!!!!!!

This is a most interesting thread.  My husband has depth perception/dizziness issues so he can't kneel at Mass.  This embarasses him, so I'm going to show him this thread so he knows he's not alone.

I too, have claustrophobia and have to sit at the end of the pew.

I've never had problems kneeling at Mass, but I notice that when it's time to go up to Communion, we've been kneeling a long time, then when I'm kneeling at the Communion rail, the outside of my thighs feel cold.  I've never thought about it, but maybe there are circulatory issues for some people with kneeling.
It is likely to be either a circulation problem or low blood sugar, the circulation can be improved through exercise, the blood sugar by having something to eat, does she get up early enough to have breakfast before Mass or does she go there on an empty stomach straight from waking up?
CarolusMagnus Wrote:It is likely to be either a circulation problem or low blood sugar, the circulation can be improved through exercise, the blood sugar by having something to eat, does she get up early enough to have breakfast before Mass or does she go there on an empty stomach straight from waking up?

She exercises a lot.  She works out at the gym at least 3 days a week.  She skates with her figure skating coach three days a week.  And in between she is exceedingly active, jumping rope, bicycling, walking, playing with the dog ... the  list is long.  So I doubt that is a circulatory issues that would be improved with exercise.

And she always eats before we go to Mass.  She, like me and her grandmother, is hypoglycemic.  Eating something before Mass is a must.  We never miss it.

Again, the fact that this only happens while she is actively kneeling makes me think that there is something impeding blood flow when she is in that particular position.  I have found some indications in medical articles that this is a viable possibility.
I've heard the knees are a sort of 'bottleneck' of blood flow.  Maybe try massaging the back of her knees before mass...and regularly while doing stretches for the calf/hamstring...before skating lessons and whatnot.
CaroleK Wrote:Yesterday at Mass my daughter started feeling dizzy and faint ... again.

This has happened a few times.  It has never happened at celebrations of the Divine Liturgy (Eastern Catholic) but only during the Mass in the Latin Rite and always during the time we have been kneeling for several minutes (either before or after receiving the Eucharist).  The only thing that is different between the Mass and the Divine Liturgy is the kneeling.  There is a great deal more kneeling in the Latin Rite.

Is is possible that there's some blood flow problem created during kneeling for her?  Like the issue of locking your knees when you stand?

I'm going to have her remain seated next Sunday rather than kneeling to see if this is the problem.  Is it wrong for her to sit instead of kneel so that we can track the source of these dizzy/faint spells?  If there is an issue is it okay for her to continue to sit rather than kneeling?

It is very possible that this is a medical problem. I can't recall what it's called but do a search for the symptoms at WedMD or another good medical site. She might need to see her doctor.

A friend of mine used to pass out at Mass back before Vatican II. I think they finally gave her a dispensation to eat in the morning rather than from fasting from midnight on as was traditional. If you and your daughter are fasting from midnight, that may be part of the problem.
Pax,

She, unfortunately, inherited blood sugar issues from me so she does not fast from midnight.  That is a certain recipe for her getting sick before, during or shortly after Mass.  I know we've got the blood sugar issues ironed out.

I'm waiting to get her in to see her doctor but in the interim I think I'll have her avoid kneeling for prolonged periods of time.

Thank you, everyone for you suggestions and help!