Feeling faint while kneeling?
Make sure she drinks enough water. I have trouble kneeling for any length of time if I am even a little bit dehydrated. I almost passed out at my best friend's wedding - I was the maid of honor and we had a busy morning, so I forgot to drink.
Johanna Wrote:Make sure she drinks enough water. I have trouble kneeling for any length of time if I am even a little bit dehydrated. I almost passed out at my best friend's wedding - I was the maid of honor.

Good point.  I try to keep on top of her fluid intake but that slips by me occasionally.
When I was 14 or so, I once fainted while kneeling during the family rosary.  Went to the doctor the next  day and she squirted out this huge gross hunk of wax from my ear.

Whenever I went for checkups, doctors commented on a slight buildup of wax, but never did anything about it.  Well, here was the result.  Must've been pressing up against my eardrum and caused the fainting.

Christina
  Have you had her blood pressure checked?  It could be low.

Spooky7272 Wrote:If I'm kneeling for a long time and my legs start to fall asleep or my knees start complaining loudly I sort of, uh, park my butt on the pew so I'm doing a half sit/half kneel. That way I don't disturb the person behind me who is kneeling if you know what I mean.
Maybe that could help? [Image: shrug.gif]

A friend of mine actually coined the word "skneel" for this particular jesture. This word is now part of my Catholic vocabulary :smile:
J.M.J.

CaroleK Wrote:
Johanna Wrote:Make sure she drinks enough water. I have trouble kneeling for any length of time if I am even a little bit dehydrated. I almost passed out at my best friend's wedding - I was the maid of honor.

Good point.  I try to keep on top of her fluid intake but that slips by me occasionally.

Please do make sure she drinks water. I seem to have the same problem you've described your daughter as having. I start to feel dizzy as if I could pass out. It only happens sometimes when kneeling though. And when it does happen I believe it is because I have not been drinking enough water. I am a big water drinker now and I have not had the problem anymore. I really think this may be it. See if this helps.
JustinMartyr Wrote:
Spooky7272 Wrote:If I'm kneeling for a long time and my legs start to fall asleep or my knees start complaining loudly I sort of, uh, park my butt on the pew so I'm doing a half sit/half kneel. That way I don't disturb the person behind me who is kneeling if you know what I mean.
Maybe that could help? [Image: shrug.gif]

A friend of mine actually coined the word "skneel" for this particular jesture. This word is now part of my Catholic vocabulary :smile:

How do you pronouonce that? I love it.
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
Hi!  I thought I'd toss in my two cents' worth (and worth every cent!) from my cardiac nurse perspective:

The legs are your second heart, with little valves in the vessels that work by flexing the legs, which force the blood back to the heart, lungs, etc.  When a person is sitting or kneeling fairly motionlessly, the valves don't work.  Also, a physically active person normally has a very slow resting heart rate (often in the 50s), and children usually have a slower resting heart rate.  Since an 11 year old girl is not likely to be anemic, she is probably just not keeping the blood circulating well in the vessels.  Mom, you should instruct her to discreetly shift position, flex her feet (ankles), and change from skneeling (I love that one!) to kneeling to sitting every few minutes (and don't worry about the posture police if there are any present!  They should be praying, anyway!).  Then, if all the good advice you've been getting, as well as your own good ideas, don't work, or if she worsens, you should get her checked.  It is probably just the normal lack of circulation.

All the best!
Thanks to everyone.

And an update - her physical showed no unusual physiologic anomalies.  Her blood pressure and pulse rate (when checked at the doc's office as well as at home resting and after activity) were completely normal.  Hydration levels were fine.

I noticed that she doesn't move or shift position while kneeling.  I, on the other hand, have bad knees and kneeling is very uncomfortable (often downright painful) so I often shift positions a bit (sit/kneeling, kneeling, placing more weight on one knee than the other, moving my feet, etc.). 

So in the past couple of weeks both at Mass and during family prayers we've tried a few things.  Wiggling her toes didn't make an appreciable difference.  Shifting around did help somewhat, but she still got a bit dizzy.  Today at Mass I had her simply remain seated.  She only knelt briefly in prayer before Mass, to receive the Eucharist, in prayer after receiving and then in Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament for a few moments after Mass.  No dizziness, no seeing spots, no fainting.

I think for a while she may just have to sit.