Borderline diabetic... any advice?
It turns out that I am borderline Type II diabetic.  My mother (who has juvenile diabetes) gave me some of her testing equipment and it shows that I have a fasting blood sugar of 101-104 every morning.  Which, from what I understand, isn't so good.

It's also possible that these blood sugar problems are part of what led to my recent miscarriage [Image: bawl.gif].  On the one hand, I see it as a really good incentive God has given me to abstain until I'm married early next year.  But I'm a little worried the 6 month wait is not enough time to "fix" something like borderline-diabetes, and I would have to resort to lots of medical intervention if I become pregnant again in the future.

I am seeking the advice of doctors for the problem, but I am leery of getting involved in a whirlwind of drugs to fix these problems.  I'd like to do everything I can to naturally resolve these problems before drugs are necessary.  I know that losing weight should definitely help, and I just got back on the exercise wagon today. 

Is there anyone out there in the forum who is perhaps more natural-cure minded and has worked with Type II diabetes?  What kind of foods help with blood sugar?  I've tried some different approaches, such as protein at night, and it didn't seem to make any difference in my morning blood sugar.  Any advice from those who have BTDT is so much appreciated! 
I had gestational diabetes with one of my pregnancies, but I was able to control my blood sugar with diet.

What I had to do was limit the total number of carbohydrates I ate, and spread them out during the day so that my blood sugar remained stable and didn't go up and down a lot.  It's also important to get exercise and lose weight, but you know that already.  You should see a dietician so that you can learn how to eat for your condition.
I've had the gestational diabetes and can control it with diet, but I'm not as familiar with regular diabetes/diets. 

There are herbs that are supposed to help....I know cinnamon is good, but not great in large quantities for your heart.  I also recently heard about something called "gymnema" and might look into it myself after this pregnancy, as supposedly with gestational, you are prone to regular diabetes later in life.  If you type that into a search, you'll see some info on it.

Christina
A fasting around 100 isn't good but it isn't HORRID.

You should be able to control it with diet. It's all in what you eat, when you eat, what you eat together.

Google Type II diabetes diets and you should come up with lots of hits.

You are looking at eating at regular intervals, lots of good protein, good complex carbs and few to no simple carbs/sugars. You'll need to experiment and see what effects your blood sugars postively and negatively-it's not all the same for all people.
My doc told me the same thing everyone here is saying.

Exercise.  It's primarily caused by being overweight.  Also, cut out carbs and sugars.

After my doc yelled at me a few years ago, I lost 20 pounds.  I could stand to lose a bunch more, but his speech on what the meds are like convinced me I didn't want to be on them.
go on to the healthiertalk.com forum they'll tell you everything.

my mom is a type II diabetic and we both have something called insulin resistence syndrome (which is a pre-diabetic thing) and my sugars are usually under 119 and I'm not considered a diabetic. 
[Image: huh.gif]104 is actually really good... 
I'd watch the kind of carbs you eat, make sure they're not processed.  brown rice, wheat bread, etc.  Taking chromium has really helped too.  Organic non-processed foods make a huge difference in how your body digests the carbs/suagrs... at least for me anyways. *shrug*

PanisAngelicus Wrote:[Image: huh.gif]104 is actually really good... 

I may have overreacted.  Just because I'm above the "normal" range, it kinda freaked me out.

Turns out exercise is working really well.  I started on Monday and my morning blood sugar is down already.  It was 95 yesterday.
Miss Fluffy,
    My blood sugar jockeys up and down depending on my diet and how much exercising I am getting as well.  Sometimes it's higher in the doc's office, sometimes lower.  My thyroid issues weren't helping either.  I was labeled with that insulin resistant condition as well.

Get a good book on diabetic diets and read what's good to eat and what's not because it's surprising sometimes what is not good for diabetics.  My grandfather suffered with the severe kind of diabetes his whole life.  I watched him eat cornbread, purple-hull peas, meat, salads - but never any sweets, bread, potatoes, rice, or the like. 

The good thing is - if I eat like I'm a diabetic - I feel great!  It's just hard to turn those other things down all the time.

And I was a borderline gestational diabetic with the boys.  The doctor was surprised I never became full-blown.  He expected it every time I took the test.  Even so, the ob-gyn said it would get me back later in life.  It sort of has, and it still may.

Donna
introibo Wrote:I've had the gestational diabetes and can control it with diet, but I'm not as familiar with regular diabetes/diets. 

There are herbs that are supposed to help....I know cinnamon is good, but not great in large quantities for your heart.  I also recently heard about something called "gymnema" and might look into it myself after this pregnancy, as supposedly with gestational, you are prone to regular diabetes later in life.  If you type that into a search, you'll see some info on it.

Christina

i had very high gestational diabetes with my last three pregnancies (very high) and controlled it with a very strict high fibre low sugar diet and CHROMIUM in large doses. If the bottle says take one, take 5.
Check with a health practitioner first but this is what mine (who was a diabetic) prescribed.
Psyllum husks in fresh squeezed orange juice twice a day is exellent instant high fibre.