Chili?
Is Chili an American thing, or do you fisheaters from other countries have it as well?   I believe the origins are Mexican, but  Mexican Chilies I've had are made with chunks of meat and chilies and aren't much like the American ground meat with chili powder tomatoes and beans. 

What do you put in your Chili?

Johanna Wrote:Is Chili an American thing, or do you fisheaters from other countries have it as well?   I believe the origins are Mexican, but  Mexican Chilies I've had are made with chunks of meat and chilies and aren't much like the American ground meat with chili powder tomatoes and beans. 

What do you put in your Chili?

We eat a lot of chilli in our house. I use mince, green chillies, onions, garlic, tomatoes, lots of beans because I like a lot, tomato puree, and dark chocolate (just a bit of 80% dark) when I have some. And we're actually having it tonight...[Image: gimmefood.gif] with potato wedges.
I make it all the time.  I use skillet browned ground beef, a bell pepper, chunky stewed tomatoes, a little tomato sauce, lots of chili powder, onions, and garlic, and a touch of cinnamon... [Image: gimmefood.gif]

It's my fiance's favorite.  I even make it in the middle of summer.  I like it best on hot dogs.
Edited to add: If you know beans about chili, then you know chili's got no beans [Image: tongue.gif] (It's a TX thing)

miss_fluffy Wrote:I make it all the time.  I use skillet browned ground beef, a bell pepper, chunky stewed tomatoes, a little tomato sauce, lots of chili powder, onions, and garlic, and a touch of cinnamon... [Image: gimmefood.gif]

It's my fiance's favorite.  I even make it in the middle of summer.  I like it best on hot dogs.
Edited to add: If you know beans about chili, then you know chili's got no beans [Image: tongue.gif] (It's a TX thing)
Oh, this is just how my husband likes it-- Texas style...He lived there for a couple of years. Personally, I can think of better ways to prepare a steak, but I have on occasion acquiesced and lovingly prepared this beer type dinner with the champagne of ingredients: steak.
My Irish grandmother always made it with beans, ground beef and....ahem, um hot dogs. I must admit I like it this way.

However you make it, a good big slosh of red wine in the pot is improving.
Pax Christi,
Ann
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
According to the purists, Chile should only contain meat (ground beef or sirloin) and tomato-based sauce. That's how they judge it at the sanctioned Chile cook-offs.

Of course, if you live in the Southwestern U.S., you realize there's a big difference between "chile" and "chili."

I like my mom's chili, not sure what the recipe is, except there are no beans! (I don't particularly care for beans, only eat them Baked)

Chili without beans! That's like hot dogs without pig intestines.
We always throw left over steak in the chili pot. We cut it into slivers and flash it for a minute or so in some hot olive oil along with some diced onions before we add it to the rest of the ingredients.
Richeldis Wrote:We eat a lot of chilli in our house. I use mince, green chillies, onions, garlic, tomatoes, lots of beans because I like a lot, tomato puree, and dark chocolate (just a bit of 80% dark) when I have some. And we're actually having it tonight...[Image: gimmefood.gif] with potato wedges.

Chocolate?! That's a new one. I put red wine and a little molasses in mine. I like it meaty with just a few black beans, and lots of spices: chili powder, paprika, cayenne, cumin and black pepper. I definitely think it improves with the addition of red wine, but I have made it with dark beer before, and that was good too.

My husband, likes to make coney dogs smothered in chili, too.
Johanna Wrote:  Chocolate?! That's a new one. I put red wine and a little molasses in mine. I like it meaty with just a few black beans, and lots of spices: chili powder, paprika, cayenne, cumin and black pepper. I definitely think it improves with the addition of red wine, but I have made it with dark beer before, and that was good too.

My husband, likes to make coney dogs smothered in chili, too.

Yeah, chocolate sounds weird I know, but it gives chilli a really nice texture, and because it's not sweet (being 80%) you get a subtle kind of unchocolatey flavour! I like to use oregano and thyme in chilli too, and a slug of wine if there's any around. My recipes tend to vary a bit depending what's in the cupboard and fridge!