Guinness Fading
The black goo called Guinness is apparently loosing it's grip in Ireland.  Fifteen years ago, you could not find an American brew in these counties.  Now, Miller, Bud, Coors and Carling are big sellers.  Before the smokes ban, you would go to any Irish pub and the majority were drinking Stout and smoking.  Is there a relationship between smoking and the allure of Guinness?  I find it bitter but I consider it a sort of duty to keep it on hand as a good Irish host should.  What are your Guinness stories?  I once worked with a guy who won a pub in Cork by entering a Guinness contest.   They used to advertise that it is "Good for you".  It is good as a hangover cure... [Image: beer.gif][Image: beer.gif][Image: beer.gif] 
Even worse, I heard that there were plans afoot to move the brewery out to the suburbs. If I remember the story correctly, the property it sits on is worth in the billions of Euros.

When spilled, it's the only beer that doesn't smell rancid the next day. Miller, Bud and the like are putrid.
StephenF Wrote:They used to advertise that it is "Good for you". 

It has a lot of B vitamins.  Many women crave it when they're nursing a baby.  My Nana says that in England the doctors used to give new mothers a six-pack to take home from the hospital.
I'm not a really big fan of stout (more of a pilsner man, myself), but I will admit I like the nutty aftertaste of Guinness. 

I guess if you're drinking beer for nutrition, the way monks used to in the Middle Ages, then the darker and heavier the beer, the better---a lot of old German beers are like that.  They're also quite fattening, by the way.  :)

However, if you're drinking for thirst, the way I do (I rarely drink beer at all, unless it's very hot outside and I've been working), then I go for lighter beers, like Budweiser Select, even though there isn't much in them....American beer is like American processed white bread: it's had everything taken out of it.

As the Germans say, "Amerikanische bier ist Limonade."  :)
Sonoman Wrote:When spilled, it's the only beer that doesn't smell rancid the next day. Miller, Bud and the like are putrid.

That's because Miller, Bud and the like start out putrid and they don't get any better with time and spillage. :D
Quote:As the Germans say, "Amerikanische bier ist Limonade."  [Image: smile.gif]

:laughing: My sister and her husband lived in Germany for several years and they also said the Germans laugh off American beer calling it "Kinder-bier".

Mommie2Boys Wrote:
Quote:As the Germans say, "Amerikanische bier ist Limonade."  [Image: smile.gif]

:laughing: My sister and her husband lived in Germany for several years and they also said the Germans laugh off American beer calling it "Kinder-bier".
And they're darn straight. Hey, we Germans have to be right on at least one thing.
CaroleK Wrote:
Sonoman Wrote:When spilled, it's the only beer that doesn't smell rancid the next day. Miller, Bud and the like are putrid.

That's because Miller, Bud and the like start out putrid and they don't get any better with time and spillage. :D
AMEN! Miller and Bud are as natural as the plastic cup they're served in.

Guinness. Ah yes. I'm not Irish and I basically never drink beer or stout these days (I'm a rummie) but I have fond memories of Guinness.

When I was in grade school back in the '70's, my mom would often go out shopping on Saturdays. As soon as her car was out of sight, my dad would hop in his car, head to a local deli, and return with two roast beef heros loaded with butter and salt and pepper. And a six pack of Guinness! It was a great lunch (and a great memory), and I always got my own can.
Avalonik Wrote:Guinness. Ah yes. I'm not Irish and I basically never drink beer or stout these days (I'm a rummie) but I have fond memories of Guinness.

When I was in grade school back in the '70's, my mom would often go out shopping on Saturdays. As soon as her car was out of sight, my dad would hop in his car, head to a local deli, and return with two roast beef heros loaded with butter and salt and pepper. And a six pack of Guinness! It was a great lunch (and a great memory), and I always got my own can.

What a great memory. Now the schools have the nerve to send home "Zero Tolerance" pledges for the parents to sign governing their own homes. Whether I allow my child to drink at dinner is my own business and none of theirs. They don't let me vette their sex-ed, then I won't let them count my wine cellar.

It's a cultural matter, I'm an Irish-Catholic!