Eating habits on days of the week
So I've had this idea in my head for some time that I'd like to come up with some sort of diet regimin based upon all sorts of traditional things for the days of the week and the seasons of the year and feast days and all that.

There's the obvious things: fish on fridays, feast on Sundays and Holy Days, no meat on Saturdays and Wednesdays.  Is there anything more to think of regarding days of the week?

I was thinking of converging some considerations of the Seven Days of Creation, the cycle of days for the mysteries of the rosary, et cetera...

of course, I'd also like to converge all this with some sort of health consideration... but I generally avoid and despise most health-food types of things, but if I could converge a healthy dietary regimen with various romantic notions of the sanctification of time, I might just be able to get into it.

anyone do anything like this?  I mean, I don't want some sort of rigid boring eating schedule, but a way to sanctify my daily meals by reference to traditional things.

just a thought that I've had on my mind for quite a while, but I've never really been able to find anything which substantially satisfies it.

In the East, it is customary amongst monks (and some laity) to fast/abstain on Mondays in honour of the Holy Angels.
Aloysius Wrote:but I generally avoid and despise most health-food types of things, but if I could converge a healthy dietary regimen with various romantic notions of the sanctification of time, I might just be able to get into it.
Not even the healthiest of all: eggs & raw milk from animals fed grass and little or no grains? How about healthy sardines and other good wild-caught fish and roe?
"health foods" to me are like, the stuff you'd find in the "health foods" aisle of the grocery story... stuff that's commercialized as 'health food'... I just detest the whole culture around stuff like that, especially the insatiable talking about what foods are healthy for you. Lionel Tigre (an anthropologist) put it best when he said people in modern society have started treating healthy food like a medicine and unhealthy food like a poison. I hate that mentality, that's what I mean.  And here at college, that mentality is everywhere (especially among the girls), and it's ridiculous.

I'm not opposed to great traditional healthy things to eat, though, just give me a good meal and a good reason for eating it that doesn't have something to do with making you "regular" or keeping your cholesteral down or something like that. I don't want to eat my food like it's medicine, I want feasts and fasts made up of rich meaning and symbolism that taste good and keep me balanced. I can even go for some ideas of keeping the humours in balance and such by foods which are associated with various humours, but I don't want to sit around talking about healthiness, I don't want to focus my meals cheifly on health as if they were medicine, I want to find a food regimin steeped in authentic culture, rather than the culture of market materialism and food-medicine.

so "eggs & raw milk from animals fed grass and little or no grains? How about healthy sardines and other good wild-caught fish and roe?"... that all sounds quite fine to me. I just don't want to fill myself up with 7 whole grains on a mission and get smacked for not having a V8 ;)