What is the Churches postition on marijuana?
DaveC Wrote:Watching an hour of TV is likely more harmful than smoking marijuana.

When you try to define what a drug is...alot of things become drugs.  Actually, almost everything becomes a drug.  What is the Church's teaching on chocolate?

lol

You make a good point.

My dh and I have been discussing absinthe and it's supposed affects. I guess it would fit into this conversation. Does the church have a position on absinthe?

*definite sarcasm post*

I would be concerned about the fact that your brother seems to be self-medicating, and as a result, he is not dealing with the problems in a Catholic way, For example, anger can be sinful and because he is just using pot to make his angry feelings go away, he is not using the methods God has put at our disposal to deal with anger. SWIM?

It might be that your brother should use some prescribed medication due to imbalances in his brain, and that would be ok because it would be bringing him within the normal range from which most of us deal with these types of problems, but just covering up his anger with a blanket of pot smoke is not going to help him spiritually.
Nicollette,

I'm drinking a nice absinthe right now.

Finally after almost 90 years, the US government has lifted the ban on absinthe.

On the topic of absinthe's effects, I never had any hallucinations drinking absinthe. The only effect I've ever had was getting really drunk. Perhaps it has something to do with most absinthes being over 100 proof.

In fact I've had worst side effects drinking NyQuil. Man, NyQil gives me crazy dreams.

Quote:On the topic of absinthe's effects, I never had any hallucinations drinking absinthe. The only effect I've ever had was getting really drunk. Perhaps it has something to do with most absinthes being over 100 proof.

Did you drink it straight? If you did I can only say that whenever something is revived from the past, no one seems to get it right. Like you Americans, with the growing popularity of tea (many often butcher it beyond repair, though they wouldn't understand as they can't imagine a sublime cuppa made properly) in your country, like to have "High Tea," which some apparently loosely define as a very exquisite afternoon tea. Have you any inkling of what High Tea really is...I thought not. You insist on cucumber sandwiches, dainties, and pasties, and don't realise that High Tea is essentially a substantial early evening meal, which often combines and replaces  "dinner" and "afternoon tea".

It would appear that a person found this amazingly scandalous beverage called Absinthe, in the UK we never banned it though it did go into hiding for awhile, and they dump it on the rocks straight and call it a day. The next day they feel like rubbish. First, I would advocate investigating its use. Diluted with aqua and sweetened with sugar.

Oh, and as for marijuana, Queen Victoria seems to have been fine, and she lived to a ripe old age. I personally find it detestable, and would prefer the far subtler relief of tobacco. Whose use I have engaged in since I was at public school, though the headmaster would have skinned me had he known.
NyQuil is the cat's meow.  Makes me sleep like a wee baby.

But it doesn't make me wee like a baby, thankfully.

If you buy absynthe in the USA it is without the herbs that belong in it, one being wormwood. Google it and you will find instructions.....
Quote:Some civil laws do not bind in conscience. If you break them you do not sin BUT if you are caught you are obliged to submit to the penalty.

Could someone provide confirmation of this statement?

Quote:I personally find it detestable, and would prefer the far subtler relief of tobacco. Whose use I have engaged in since I was at public school, though the headmaster would have skinned me had he known.

Professor, do you smoke cigarettes or pipe tobacco?
Back to the topic of marijuana. If all the laws against it's use were to be repealed, I believe that the Catholic Church would have to condemn it's use except for serious medical purposes.

Let me be open here: I've had lots of experience with it, beginning in 1966. I can tell you that it is truly addictive, even if the withdrawal symptoms are not as physically harsh as heroin or cocaine. The regular user simply cannot tolerate the weakness, sense of lack, depression and anxiety of being without it. Furthermore, it is seriously impairing of one's motor coordination and sense of timing; driving a motor vehicle under the influence is even more hazardous, in my opinion, than alcohol (though I in no way support drunk driving!).

Worst of all, from the moral and spiritual perspective, smoking pot just puts out the light of reason and makes one extremely susceptible to whatever the passions may suggest.

Stay away from it! It's the devil's weed!

To be truly delivered from the clutches of marijuana requires divine grace through the Most-holy Mother of God. If I were counseling someone who is using it, I would emphasize that they are skating on thin ice with the salvation of their soul, to examine themselves fearlessly and see if they are not already in mortal sin, and to turn themselves over completely to Our Lady through the Rosary.

By the way, I would also stay away from those "Twelve-step programs" because they are all religiously alien to the Catholic Faith in that they ask you to call upon a "higher power" and have Christians and non-Christians reciting the Lord's Prayer together (holding hands, of course!). We have everything we need in the Catholic Faith for overcoming addictions.

Judging from personal experience with the sort of people who do smoke it, I'd venture to guess that it IS intrinsically sinful.