What is the Churches postition on marijuana?
Catholic777 Wrote:Sex...should be regulated.But fornication and adultery and stuff SHOULD be proscribed by law, simply because it can get a third party (a baby) involved and, in the current state of things, lead to abortion (whether legal or illegal).

Okay I know this is totally off topic, but how do you think a government should enforce laws against fornication?  Throw people in jail?  If you get pregnant out of wedlock the state forcibly takes your baby?
Quote:Okay I know this is totally off topic, but how do you think a government should enforce laws against fornication? Throw people in jail? If you get pregnant out of wedlock the state forcibly takes your baby?

Possibly jail-time. That punishment is still technically on the books in many states. Or just a fine. Being committed to some sort of morality rehab? Wear a big red letter F? Be publicly humiliated in the stocks for a week? There are many ways.

But I wouldn't separate babies from their mothers if they weren't being abused or neglected.
Mandatory fasting(one big meal, two smaller ones that smaller than the big one, aka Catholic definition of fasting) for 40 days?
Hmm, or maybe a diet consisting solely of tofu for a year, yeah...that should do it. Tofu reduces a man's virility. I would feed 'em to priests too.

Quote:I would feed 'em to priests too.

Feed...the fornicators? Or tofu?

If the former...what does that mean? If the latter...why would we want less virile priests? The goal of celibacy is sublimation, not repression or neutering.
I am really glad Catholic777 and Cephas are not in charge [Image: laff.gif]
Catholic777, The latter. I think a person needs to eat a lot of tofu get close to being neutered. But it is just a thought. Of course, getting them to fast more would get similar results, I hope.
Catholic777 states:
"Your attitude is akin to "guns dont kill people, people kill people"...yes, people WITH guns. If gun laws were stricter in the USA...there would be fewer deaths and, I suppose correspondingly, fewer murders. They do not make society safer, statistically proven, no matter what NRA propoganda tells you. "But if everyone had one" is a useless hypothetical as that isnt the case."

This has been demonstrated as false.But, by all means, lets disarm everyone and lets trust this Govt to protect us, the same govt that:
-incinerated Waco fundies
-Gave VD to blacks (Tuskeege)
-allowed 45 million abortions
-murdered Terry Schiavo

and has passed draconinan dictatorship laws just in last 8 yrs alone (Military Commissions, Patriot Act).

Not supporter of NRA at all-a sellout to GOP-but I would think long and hard about disarming law-abiding people.

my point is simple-Govt's usually do NOT have your best at heart, it is about profit or control. I fear more from Govt, the largets killer of people, then some occ pot user that is nauseous or nervous.
[quote='Catholic777'][quote]I've heard that perhaps a compromise (for all drugs, not just alcohol) would be instead of banning them completely or allowing them completely...to regulate them and to have people need a license to buy them. And if you are ever caught publically drunk or high, especially driving, they take it away. For minor infractions for, like, a year or whatever. For major...forever. Perhaps it would electronically track how much you had purchased recently and have a cap limit on that. It's an interesting idea, I just wonder how they'd make sure only responsible people got the license. Surely some would slip through the cracks...but still, it's something to consider.
[/QUOTE]

Again, the state has some control, but very little-largely and constitutionally, to protect the innocent (unborn and Terri Schiavo's). A license..where would that stop?Smokes?Alcohol?Having Children?

You may be good intentioned, but relying on the State far too much. That could open up a backdoor to abuse. Sex, regualted normally by the Church, only by the state when it is abusive-ie, rape or sodomy.If it is "gotta have it all the time", it is normally under the purview of the Family, Church and in all-else-fails, state. subsidiarity
In line with Subsidiarity, one has to ask-is occ use of marijuana a society-at-large isseus or is it a problem to be deatl with at family, Church or local level.

Watch the movie links I posted earlier, I am convinced that the regulation of a God-given plant is less about "protecting society", then about profit and control. CIA after all has helped import more drugs then some farmer.

Quote:But, by all means, lets disarm everyone and lets trust this Govt to protect us,

Quote:Not supporter of NRA at all-a sellout to GOP-but I would think long and hard about disarming law-abiding people.

You hold some romanticized notion that if the people have guns then they can defend themselves against an unjust government, which is totally unrealistic.

No mere group of private citizens is going to be able to overcome the government with handguns and rifles and pistols. It's just a ridiculous thing to imagine.

You are also assuming that the military or police are some sort of impersonal robot. The soldiers and police officers are people too, citizens in the end. If the government was really bad...well...legitimacy breaking down and the soldiers stopping compliance is just as likely as some group of civilians with their guns overthrowing the government.