"How I led Catholics Out of the Church"
Quote:
How I led Catholics Out of the Church
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
From my observations, this is all true. These are all the tactics used by my mom's Protestant church to "steal sheep" from the Catholic Church. Since her church is an ethnic Filipino one, most of them are ex-Catholics. They generally come away from the Church thinking that the Mass and all rituals are meaningless, and that the Church doesn't take the Bible seriously.

The #1 reason why Catholics fall to Protestantism is ignorance. Every average Joe Catholic I've met on the street, at school, etc. has absolutely no idea what his religion teaches, except maybe that there's a guy named Jesus, and a girl named Mary, and a guy with a tall hat we call the pope (why we have a pope, they don't know). If you asked them to describe their faith in a paragraph, they wouldn't be able to do it, even if they drone out the Nicene Creed every Sunday. Most RCIA and CCD programs are completely useless, serving only to propagate "I'm okay, you're okay" fluff. The ignorance among "average Joe Catholics" is, quite frankly, scary. If I hadn't known through history that Catholicism was the faith of the early Church up until the Reformation, I would have never even entertained the notion of becoming a Catholic.
Yes, Archbishop, it is very scary. I don't know how any of them manage to even keep a belief in Jesus, because it is completely unsupported by any "reason," in their minds. I can only conclude that it is a sheer miracle of God's grace that any of them have any faith at all!

Many of them may "drone out" as you say, the Creed and the Our Father every Sunday at Mass, but if you ask them to say the Our Father outside of Mass, they would probably have difficulty. They don't know what it means, it's just words, even though they are saying it in English. They know there is a God, and he's a big omnipotent creator, and yet somehow he's also Jesus, and there's something called the "Holy Ghost" as well, but He's just a name, don't really know anything about that... "God probably created the earth sometime in the last 10,000 years, but there isn't much evidence at all for it, and even though I somehow have this notion that he did, for all intents and purposes I'm an evolutionist; on Sunday, I think about Adam and Eve, on Monday I'm thinking about that big ol' meteorite that smacked into the gulf of mexico 65,000,000 years ago." They know that they go to Church, and there is some reason for that, but they couldn't tell you why they do it, other than habit and "cause it's what I guess you're supposed to do," and they know that there's some guy in Rome called the Pope, and that JPII was a really awesome guy who did lots to help the poor. Oh, they also (usually, this surprised me actually) know how to sign themselves with the cross, Deo Gratias! There are very few young men who adhere to this sort of "Catholicism," they all see that it's nonsense after awhile and become atheists or agnostics, in practice if not in profession. The girls are able to have the sort of blind faith necessary to believe, so often they will still adhere to this faith, even when there is very little there to support it. Again, I consider it a miracle of God's grace that as many of the young NO'ers as there are still hold some form of Christian faith and believe in a deity. If they don't believe there is a God at all, then they are much harder to convince, because then they throw away any inhibitions at all, and breathe absolutely freely the errors of the world, which means that it's nearly impossible to convert them.
Archbishop_10K Wrote:From my observations, this is all true. These are all the tactics used by my mom's Protestant church to "steal sheep" from the Catholic Church. Since her church is an ethnic Filipino one, most of them are ex-Catholics. They generally come away from the Church thinking that the Mass and all rituals are meaningless, and that the Church doesn't take the Bible seriously.

The #1 reason why Catholics fall to Protestantism is ignorance. Every average Joe Catholic I've met on the street, at school, etc. has absolutely no idea what his religion teaches, except maybe that there's a guy named Jesus, and a girl named Mary, and a guy with a tall hat we call the pope (why we have a pope, they don't know). If you asked them to describe their faith in a paragraph, they wouldn't be able to do it, even if they drone out the Nicene Creed every Sunday. Most RCIA and CCD programs are completely useless, serving only to propagate "I'm okay, you're okay" fluff. The ignorance among "average Joe Catholics" is, quite frankly, scary. If I hadn't known through history that Catholicism was the faith of the early Church up until the Reformation, I would have never even entertained the notion of becoming a Catholic.

Archbishop, I can relate to what you say. My Mom too is Protestant (of the Dispensational variety) and she attends a very subtle but Anti-Catholic non-denominational Church. As an way of example, the leaders of this Church while having public showings of the film Luther (2003) while they bitterly protested
The Passion of the Christ as unbiblical and Catholic propaganda. Do this day, I am still the only one in my mother's side of family that has even seen Mel Gibson's masterpiece. Before I returned to church 3 years ago (I am a Revert), I attended the "Church History classes" at my Mom's Church where they cover Church History from Emperor Constantine to Martin Luther in less than 60 seconds. They teach a variation on Great Apostasy theory in which Constantine founded the Catholic Church. This series on church History by the way ended with a Sunday night presentation on how Thomas Jefferson and the Founding Father built a Christian nation founded on the Bible. I can concurr with "If I hadn't known through history that Catholicism was the faith of the early Church up until the Reformation, I would have never even entertained the notion of becoming a Catholic." If I had not known what the immediate followers of Apsotles like St. Ignatius, Polycarp, Justin said I might have easily been led away from the Church. My experience is that History means little to these people. The fact that Ignatius was a disciple of the Apostles and taught the Real Presence means nothing to these people since their writings are "not inspired".

Quote: Most RCIA and CCD programs are completely useless, serving only to propagate "I'm okay, you're okay" fluff 

This kind of thing is doing damage beyond just nominal Catholics. Protestants that attend them are left with the impression they can get more depth in average Protestant Bible study than these classes. A member of my family told me that they attended classes in the Concillar Catholic Church in the early 70s was left with impression that Church does not take the Bible seriously.I've had Protestants in my family compare the Catholic religion to Islam with emphasis on forms of prayer. I guess I am ranting a bit but my experience is people of this background (Chuch of Christ/Non-Denominational Dispensational) have deep ingrained prejudice combined with training against Catholicism that make them almost unreachable. When I was a little kid I went to a church of Christ church with my Mom in which the young pastor gave a sermon on "anyone going to that High Mass"  would damn their soul to Hell for eternity. This was during the 1980s when the Concillar church did not have the High-Low Mass distinction I believe. They have so downgraded the Epistle of James that they will not even listen to the Catholic that mentions James 2.
Archbishop_10K Wrote:From my observations, this is all true. These are all the tactics used by my mom's Protestant church to "steal sheep" from the Catholic Church. Since her church is an ethnic Filipino one, most of them are ex-Catholics. They generally come away from the Church thinking that the Mass and all rituals are meaningless, and that the Church doesn't take the Bible seriously.

Most of the Mexicans in my area are prots now. [Image: sad.gif]

philipmarus Wrote:Archbishop, I can relate to what you say. My Mom too is Protestant (of the Dispensational variety) and she attends a very subtle but Anti-Catholic non-denominational Church. As an way of example, the leaders of this Church while having public showings of the film Luther (2003) while they bitterly protested The Passion of the Christ as unbiblical and Catholic propaganda.

What exactly is the "dispensational" variety? This is the second time this week I have run across the term. I suspect I am dealing with one, and this guy thinks he is God Himself.
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
When I said "Dispensational" I mean what is described concisely here:

http://www.kensmen.com/catholic/dispensationalism.html