And, on the same subject...
DJMitch Wrote:"Men Live Longer on Four Beers a Day, Catholic Uni Researchers Find"

http://www.cathnews.com/news/612/72.php

[I don't embed articles for two reasons: (1) I think it is a breach of copyright, and (2) I don't know how (other than copying and pasting).]
 Then can somebody tell me what the article said? I just found this thread and the link no longer works (page removed).
http://web.archive.org/web/2007012520121...612/72.php
Evey Wrote:One unit is a half-pint. 
 Grumpy, Thanks for finding the article in the 'net archives. It seems that my frequent two (Imperial) pints falls right within the tolerances. I believe it was Chesterton who said we should praise God for having given us beer and wine by not drinking too much of them.
jovan66102 Wrote: I believe it was Chesterton who said we should praise God for having given us beer and wine by not drinking too much of them.

That sounds like something Chesterton would say. Whoever said it was brilliant! :)

- Lisa
jovan66102 Wrote:
Grumpy, Thanks for finding the article in the 'net archives. It seems that my frequent two (Imperial) pints falls right within the tolerances. I believe it was Chesterton who said we should praise God for having given us beer and wine by not drinking too much of them.

I shall be buying myself a symbolic pint for my eighteenth birthday. What do you recommend? [Image: beer2.gif]
GrumpyTroll Wrote:
jovan66102 Wrote:
Grumpy,Thanks for finding the article in the 'net archives. It seems that my frequent two (Imperial) pints falls right within the tolerances. I believe it was Chesterton who said we should praise God for having given us beer and wine by not drinking too much of them.

I shall be buying myself a symbolic pint for my eighteenth birthday. What do you recommend? [Image: beer2.gif]
 A Guiness, mon ami!
StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
jovan66102 Wrote: I believe it was Chesterton who said we should praise God for having given us beer and wine by not drinking too much of them.

That sounds like something Chesterton would say. Whoever said it was brilliant! :)

- Lisa
Yep, that's Chesterton! I love Chesterton!![Image: inlove.gif]
Absolute quackery.  Alcoholism (which this kind of indulgence is likely to lead to) has never been good for one's health, physical or emotional.  Last week I read an article by a doctor claiming that people who set themselves on fire regularly are twelve times more likely to live to 100.
No, because the unit that was used was half a pint.  Two pints of beer a day is not excessive.

Forty pints of wallop a day will keep away the quacks -
It's only fourpence ha'penny and one and six in tax.
One, two, three, four, five,
Hey!
He must have been an admiral or a sultan or a king,
And to his praises we shall always sing,
Look what he has done for us, he has filled us up with cheer,
The Lord bless Charlie Mops, the man who invented beer!

Excuse me, I got carried away.

There is so much conflicting information out that that one can believe whatever one wants in regards to health.  I have long suspected that a small amount of wine (say, one glass a day) is good for one's health but that the preservatives and colourings that are added to wine these days would neutralise the benefit.

Moderate pipe smoking has some health benefits too, but again, all the chemicals in modern tobacco spoil it.

Beer?  I doubt it.  At least, there has not yet been a convincing explanation, and only one study that I can identify.  These surveys are a dime a dozen.  Just do a web search on a phrase like "more likely to live longer" and see how many differing claims come up.  Here's an example:

http://clusty.com/search?input-form=clusty-simple&v%3Asources=webplus&query=%22more+likely+to+live+longer%22

If you click onwards a bit, there's even a claim "curvy women more likely to live longer" - so keep shovelling those doughnuts in, ladies!  :laughing: