Fat (need to lose some?)
PaxTecum Wrote:
KyrieEleison Wrote:How do you calculate the amount of calories on home cooked meals?

This is just a guess, but I'm betting that three home-cooked, authentic, tasty, Polish meals a day well exceeds anyone's daily required calorie intake. [Image: smile.gif]

Actually no it wouldn't. I had three/four (this is was because my grandma made me lunch at 12:30 PM, an aunt at 3pm and another aunt at 5pm,in addition to my 3 egg and bacon omelette) meals a day and I lost weight.
Also, in Poland there is very little obesity and all eat alot, very much compared to Americans.

In America Polish food is limited to sausage and other greasy foods. In Poland, pierogi is not eated daily only for holydays. Also, kielbasa is not eaten often because it is expensive in preference to hams, bolonias, meatloafs, and kiszka/kaszanka (blood sausage).
KyrieEleison Wrote:How do you calculate the amount of calories on home cooked meals?

pretty much everything you buy has nutritional information on the side. Add up  the calorie counts of everything in the dish and then devide it by the number of servings you get out of that dish. It's really pretty simple.

Just relize that protien is 4 cals per gram, carbs are 4 per gram and fat is 8 cals per gram. (alcohol is 7 btw so alcohol is really something you;re gonna need to give up during the initial fat loss.)
brogan Wrote:

pretty much everything you buy has nutritional information on the side. Add up  the calorie counts of everything in the dish and then devide it by the number of servings you get out of that dish. It's really pretty simple.

Just relize that protien is 4 cals per gram, carbs are 4 per gram and fat is 8 cals per gram. (alcohol is 7 btw so alcohol is really something you;re gonna need to give up during the initial fat loss.)

Okay so that is how you measure it!
[Image: fishxxx.JPG]
Long live fish!
oh ok I see what you mean.

First of all I would join www.fitday.com There you can type in all of the food you eat and adjust the quantities to get the right cal count. You'll half to guess on the weight of the food.

Of the top of my head I'd say a pretty regular size peice of fish is about 200 cals. The more fat the fish has the more cals it'll have (obviously) but the type of fat you get from fatty fish like salmon is really good for you.

A can of tuna fish is about 150 cals. So yeah, a decent sized peice of fish is gonna be about 150-200 or so.

Seriously join fitday. After logging your eating for a week or so you'll really just start to understand food and it wont be a problem to geusstimate how many cals something has...

I hope no one minds if I weigh in on this heavy subject. [Image: biggrin.gif]

I like the Atkins diet. My dh and I went on it when his triglyceride levels were sky high. In 2 weeks, he lost 20 pounds, and in 3 weeks I lost 20 pounds. His triglycerides and cholesterol levels are normal now.

He was happy with his weight loss, but I stayed on it and slowly added more carbs in the form of fresh veggies and berries and continued to lose a total of 55 pounds in 6 months.

BTW, it is a common misconception that Atkins is high protein- it is not. It is low carbohydrate. The science behind it is valid according to my anatomy and physiology professor.
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
I have also been under the impression that weight loss of any more than 2lb/week was very bad for you. How do you reconcile this fact with such rapid weight loss on the Atkins diet?
DominusTecum Wrote:I have also been under the impression that weight loss of any more than 2lb/week was very bad for you. How do you reconcile this fact with such rapid weight loss on the Atkins diet?

Most of it is water loss.  The Atkins book  says that it's what most weight loss is in the first few weeks on any diet. 

I'll be a lifer on Atkins, it truly is a healthy diet.  Though lately, with the stress of the past few weeks, I've been "cheating."  I'm an emotional eater, when I get upset I eat, and it's always junk I want.  [Image: sad.gif]  I'll have to go on induction again to clean my system out I'm afraid. 
DominusTecum Wrote:I have also been under the impression that weight loss of any more than 2lb/week was very bad for you. How do you reconcile this fact with such rapid weight loss on the Atkins diet?

Reese is right, it is mostly excess water that had been retained in tissues that were saturated because of the over-production of insulin caused by ingesting glycogen (simple carbs). The water loss has the immediate benefit of lowering blood pressure. [Image: cheerleader.gif] 

I was stupid and when I started taking classes last year I gained some weight back as the carbs crept back in at the computer and during class breaks. [Image: frown.gif] 

So back on induction I go. Then no more brownies, etc. The first time I ate a brownie after losing weight, I could feel the swelling return to my fingers and feet within an hour or so. It is much harder to break a carb addiction than one might think. I am going to use a multi-vitamin with chromium to help for the first few days. Luckily, I have access to a nutritionally savvy physician. He used to be an anesthesiologist and now does pain management.

S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
any opinions about this site? is it true, or dishonest?

http://www.atkinsexposed.org/

I have never been on Atkins, but for those who have, do you stop eating bread?  Pasta?  All carbs?  Or only carbs like Pop-Tarts and Twinkies? ;-)

That seems so extreme to me, and I'm not sure I understand this water loss thing very well.  Are you saying that those who eat carbs regularly are carrying around a large amount of extra water?  Including carb-eaters who are thin?

-Matt-