Fat (need to lose some?)

[quote]
The Role of Energy Expenditure in the Differential Weight Loss in Obese Women on Low Fat and Low Carbohydrate Diets

<META content="OpenOffice.org 1.9.{milestone} (Linux)" name=GENERATOR> <META content=Jschwartz name=AUTHOR> <META content=20050713;16090000 name=CREATED> <META content="Colette Heimowitz" name=CHANGEDBY> <META content=20051012;12040000 name=CHANGED> <STYLE>

[-]
  •
LatinPassion Wrote:In health class we learned about the Atkins diet and another such diet from the 70s, which is extremely similar to the Atkins diet. According to my professor, low carb diets help people lose weight quickly, because it causes the body to go through Ketosis. The Ketones released in Ketosis are very damaging to the Kidneys etc.

You have been given outdated information. In my physiology class we learned that the kidneys are quite capable of handling ketosis. The claims of kidney damage associated with Atkins or high-protein diets (the two are not the same, btw) are, according to my professor, unsubstantiated. Furthermore, the Atkins type diets are proven safe and effective for weight loss and overall cardiac health, even with long term ketosis:

Quote:
Long Term Effects of a Ketogenic Diet in Obese Patients

Dashti, H.M., Mathew, C.M., Hussein, T., e.t al., “Long Term Effects of a Ketogenic Diet in Obese Patients,” Clinical Cardiology, 2004, 9(3), pages 200-205.

Summary:
BACKGROUND: Although various studies have examined the short-term effects of a ketogenic diet in reducing weight in obese patients, its long-term effects on various physical and biochemical parameters are not known.

OBJECTIVE: To determine the effects of a 24-week ketogenic diet (consisting of 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g/kg body weight protein, 20% saturated fat, and 80% polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat) in obese patients.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: In the present study, 83 obese patients (39 men and 44 women) with a body mass index greater than 35 kg/m2, and high glucose and cholesterol levels were selected. The body weight, body mass index, total cholesterol, low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, triglycerides, fasting blood sugar, urea and creatinine levels were determined before and after the administration of the ketogenic diet. Changes in these parameters were monitored after eight, 16 and 24 weeks of treatment.

RESULTS: The weight and body mass index of the patients decreased significantly (P<0.0001). The level of total cholesterol decreased from week 1 to week 24. HDL cholesterol levels significantly increased, whereas LDL cholesterol levels significantly decreased after treatment. The level of triglycerides decreased significantly following 24 weeks of treatment. The level of blood glucose significantly decreased. The changes in the level of urea and creatinine were not statistically significant.

CONCLUSIONS: The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated.

[-]
  •
brogan Wrote:But sugar in itself is needed for muscle repair and proper brain function. Cutting it out completely is not a good idea.

This is the main concern.  The fact that people deny this baffles me.
I know I've been doing the low-carb atkins diet for about 6 weeks now, and while the weight comes off quicker with this sort of diet, my energy level has gone WAAAAY down. I'm tired all the time and don't want to do anything. Also, it's affected my brain and learning abilities, I can't think properly and it is so much harder to concentrate on school than before.

I don't know if it does this to everyone, but it certainly affected me in this way.
jujyfruit06 Wrote:I know I've been doing the low-carb atkins diet for about 6 weeks now, and while the weight comes off quicker with this sort of diet, my energy level has gone WAAAAY down. I'm tired all the time and don't want to do anything. Also, it's affected my brain and learning abilities, I can't think properly and it is so much harder to concentrate on school than before.

I don't know if it does this to everyone, but it certainly affected me in this way.

You should probably check with your doctor. The usual time for what Atkins called "induction" is 2 weeks at no more than 20 grams of carbs a day. After that, carbs are added in 5 grams at a time until one finds the right amount that maintains a healthy weight. The tricky part is adding in the right carbs. My favorite first addition was strawberries. [Image: gimmefood.gif]
curious_catholic Wrote:
brogan Wrote:But sugar in itself is needed for muscle repair and proper brain function. Cutting it out completely is not a good idea.

This is the main concern.  The fact that people deny this baffles me.

Deny what? All carbs, even low-carb veggies have some sugars.

Oh, and welcome, Curious! [Image: rose.gif]
[Image: kfc.gif]
how can you resist THAT smile?
How about some quality carbs to wash down that chook fat.
[Image: product_xxxxbitter2.jpg]

Now there's a smile you can't resist.
[-]
  •
[Image: laff.gif][Image: laff.gif]
Now now we cant be too mean to supersized yanks....
and yes, I'll have a beer mate....even if it is XXXX

Then there is probably the #1 reason Americans are fat: inactivity.  Many people work at desk jobs (my husband has lost 20 lbs, with no dietary changes, simply from leaving a desk job to carpentry.  His boss used to come in with donuts and pass them around, people would share treats all the time; it takes a lot of willpower to constantly say no in that environment.  We don't walk anywhere-I think we drive more then anyone else in the world- much of our housework is done by jobs, and most of our enterainment is passive (said someone at the computer Wink )