Fat (need to lose some?)
AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:Since the thread is about weight loss, it was presumed by me that stored fat is a problem for those who are posting here. To restate, it is indeed glucose that is stored as fat; not fat, and not
protein. If you (or anyone) has excess body fat, it is coming from carbs.
Excess fat and protein can be stored as fat just the same as carbs can. If you ate nothing but 5000 cals of olive oil everyday you would gain a lot of fat. You would gain the almost the exact same amount of fat as if you ate nothing but 5000 calories of pure grain sugar a day. And of course the same applies to protein. The Ketosis would really only burn about 500 cals a day, So the extra 2500 cals (assuming you're maintenance level calories are 2000 a day) would be stored as fat regardless if you got these excess calories from fat, protein, or carbohydrates.

brogan Wrote:Let's say your body needs 300 cals of energy to function properly for 3 hours. For that 3 hours you would want to fuel your body with 300 calories of a slow digesting sugar source so that nothing will be stored as fat. If you eat 300 cals of oats for example maybe only 100 cals worth of those oats have been converted to energy in the first hour. Then during the 2nd hour after eating them another 100 calories worth is converted into energy. Thus none of the glucose derived from this carb ever has the chance to be stored as fat; it is immediately used to fuel your body.

If you ate something with a high glysymic response all of it would be digested at once and because your body only needs 100 of the 300 calories consumed during the first hour it will store those other 200 calories as fat. Thats why you shouldnt eat simple sugars. But sugar in itself is needed for muscle repair and proper brain function. Cutting it out completely is not a good idea.

AdoramusTeChriste Wrote:This reminds me of the diet that the weight-training crowd likes to promote. I gained weight on it, and I think that most women would. It is not a weight-loss diet. As far as I know, it doesn't even claim to be.

You gained fat because you were eating more calories than you needed to just "maintain". Had you eaten nothing but pure cane sugar everyday(and a good multivitamin [Image: wink.gif]) but only consumed 1500 cals of it a day you would have lost weight.

I lost 80 pounds in about 8 months doing it this way. Further:

[Image: pic14vu.jpg]

[Image: pic21cu.jpg]

Take a look at what he ate.

http://johnstonefitness.com/ on the left under "Food Logs"

The real point is you need to eat less calories then your maintenance level calories to lose weight.

brogan Wrote: 

You gained fat because you were eating more calories than you needed to just "maintain". Had you eaten nothing but pure cane sugar everyday(and a good multivitamin [Image: wink.gif]) but only consumed 1500 cals of it a day you would have lost weight.

I didn't say I gained fat, I said I gained weight. Part of the weight gain was from fluid retention caused by too much grain, a feature that the proponents of the work-out style diets adhere to. Furthermore, I was breastfeeding an infant so calorie restriction was not an issue. What I found to be striking is that the post-partum period is generally one of rapid weight loss, but even with a trainer I couldn't lose weight because the diet was all wrong, for me.

Btw, sugar is an inflammatory substance in the body and is not going to promote weight loss. No matter what. For me, I couldn't lose the retained fluid until I cut out all sugar, all grains and all starchy veggies. After I started Atkins, I saw one of the trainers from the Y and she told me I looked great. And of course I did look comparatively better at 55 pounds lighter.

As I said before, best of luck with your endeavor. There are millions of diets out there. If you found one that works for you, great.