Head Covering as a Bridesmaid in the N.O.?
We've a lively discussion on foil headcoverings going on, too, in case you want something that says "BLING!"

Anthem Wrote:[quote='Monica']I would never be prideful enough to tell somebody else how to conduct herself with respect head covering because that's between her and God, and it is not my place and nor do I think it's yours.
Anthem Wrote:Then you probably should not have posted a message at all on this thread. You implicitly accuse me of being prideful, which I am sure I am. But you say it is not one's right to judge. So why do you do it?

In a previous post you asked me to join you in urging the original poster to wear a mantilla, and you have my response above. And I'd say I explicitly called you prideful, which you freely admit. So we agree! [Image: smile.gif]

Anthem Wrote:[quote='Monica'] As far as examples, the only one that I'm concerned with during Mass (or a wedding ceremony without a Mass that takes place in Church) is the example of Jesus Christ and how I might become more like Him. This, I'm afraid, absorbs me fully and I have neither the time nor the inclination to worry about acting as an example for others. I'm just a sinner praying for grace, and that's why I go to Mass.

Anthem Wrote:Do you ever notice what other people are doing while you are at Mass?

Sure. The priest, the altar boys, the ushers when the come to our row to signal it's our turn to go to Communion. I also offer my hand in peace when somebody presents theirs. You've never been veiled so you don't know how having something over your head actually blocks your peripheral vision, therefore encouraging the wearer to look straight ahead at the altar and maintain a prayerful state. The veil is a wonderful thing! I should add, in the interest of full disclosure, that when I attended a wildly liberal church I was often distracted by the tamborines and the dancing and the 16 Eucharistic ministers, and so I just stopped going there. The gong was the last straw. And maybe the horse.

Anthem Wrote:[quote='Monica']In paraphrasing the Sermon on the Mount (light under bushel), you reminded me that Jesus also talks about judging others for the speck in their eyes while still having a log in one's own. Were I worried about what those around me were wearing or not wearing, judging them, I would not be clear of sin (pride?) and therefore unable to receive the Eucharist. All because I was shallow and silly enough to believe that I knew better about what another woman should wear on her head??? Come, now.

Anthem Wrote:The woman who originally asked the question wanted advice. I posted something in response. So did you. I know why I did. Do you?

Yes I do, and pardon me for mentioning it but you seem to be the only one who's confused about that.

Anthem Wrote:[quote='Monica']I also attend an N.O. church, if that matters. You seem to feel called to be an agent of change for the cause of Tradition; perhaps that's what God has planned for you. But please don't make the mistake of judging others for whom God has other plans, other vocations.

Anthem Wrote:I believe the circumstances of the individual matter very much when it comes to listening to what he might say. I endeavor to listen with this in mind, though I do not know that I am always successful. I am advocating the cause of traditionalism (if that is a fair term) within Novus Ordo parishes, because that is where the vast majority of Catholics worship. It would be wrong to abandon them.

That's great to know. Why didn't you say "listening to what he or she might say?"

God Bless You, Anthem.
Monica Wrote:Why didn't you say "listening to what he or she might say?"
Because I don't feel the need to cater to feminists by trying to use inclusive language.  My use of the pronoun "he" to refer to a generic individual is correct. 
Anthem Wrote:
Because I don't feel the need to cater to feminists by trying to use inclusive language.  My use of the pronoun "he" to refer to a generic individual is correct. 
 Bravo!, Anthem, Bravo!
jovan66102 Wrote:
Anthem Wrote:
 Bravo!, Anthem, Bravo!

How about "listening to what s/he might say?"

[Image: laff.gif] (It's a joke!)

[Image: afraidsmiley.gif] (We can joke.. yes?)

- Lisa
NO! Jokes are absolutely forbidden around here; didn't you know that, Lisa??

(slight sarcasm)
AgnusDei1989 Wrote:NO! Jokes are absolutely forbidden around here; didn't you know that, Lisa??

(slight sarcasm)

I thought I read somewhere that we were allowed three good jokes a day, and only one lame one. Well, there's my quota for the day LOL ;)

- Lisa
You could get a hair comb and sew a petal-shaped piece of tulle or organdy hanging down from it (in the color of your dress). With your hair in a knot, this would cover a significant portion of it. These can look really nice!
Just a shot in the dark, but a hat maker I've bought a number of hats from does a line of evening hats that might be a middle ground sort of thing.

They're here: http://www.hat-a-tude.com/productCat47449.ctlg

This is a sample

[Image: burgvelvtcocktail.jpg]
Under ideal circumstances they likely wouldn't be the choice, but it sounds like circumstances aren't ideal. The colors are limited, but I've talked to the shop owner (Kathy) in the past and she's real nice to deal with and she told me that she's always happy to see if she can modify things for customers so if interested it might not hurt to call or email her.
This one matches my bridesmaid dress:
[Image: purpguineacocktl.jpg]
But $55 for some feathers?!  Ha. [Image: laff.gif]