Head Covering as a Bridesmaid in the N.O.?
ErinIsNotNice Wrote:This one matches my bridesmaid dress:
[Image: purpguineacocktl.jpg]
But $55 for some feathers?!  Ha. [Image: laff.gif]

The dress is purple?

I haven't seen your dress, so I could be wrong...but that just SOUNDS awful. :laughing:

Actually, you could probably pull that color off...I would end up looking like Grimace.

[Image: reference_grimace.jpg]
Grimace purple is exactly the color!  It's terrible!  And the bridal party has several girls who are over a size 18.  This is the dress (but not the color obviously):
[Image: product_image.php?imageid=161635]

Over a size 18, in that style? Ouch...

But I bet you would look quite nice in it. Are you wearing some kind of scarf/jacket in the church? (just wondering)

As to the $55 feathers, go buy some cheaper materials at any craft store, and reproduce it! :)
ErinIsNotNice Wrote:Grimace purple is exactly the color!  It's terrible!  And the bridal party has several girls who are over a size 18.  This is the dress (but not the color obviously):
[Image: product_image.php?imageid=161635]

That's not so bad. A bit un-wearable after the wedding though (as usual.)

However, that is a horrible top for a busty woman (I'm going to guess that the sz 18 women are large on top as well.) I really wish brides would let bridesmaids wear whatever style dress they want in a fabric of the bride's choosing. I've seen weddings like that and I think it looks very chic.

The style on the left is what I wore in my friend's wedding (In espresso brown with a white sash but I'm a total moron and FORGOT the sash on the day of the wedding.)
[Image: 8133181334_primary.jpg]

This is the VA-VA-VOOM dress she wanted originally. Picture it in hot coral. And then on my chubby little bod 4 months after I gave birth. I still get a panic attack just thinking about it.
[Image: 81509_primary.jpg]

Edited to add:
*thinking* Grimace purple? Really? Does your sister hate you and her friends or does she just have a thing for that color?
AgnusDei1989 Wrote:But I bet you would look quite nice in it. Are you wearing some kind of scarf/jacket in the church? (just wondering)

As to the $55 feathers, go buy some cheaper materials at any craft store, and reproduce it! :)

I'm knitting this lace shrug with a pale gold silk, but I'm not going to make the sleeves so wide at the bottom:
[Image: idoSIDE.jpg]

My sister has always loved purple--  to the point where she hasn't thought about how we don't all have her nice tan. [Image: laff.gif]
That shrug pattern is very pretty. And pale gold silk is a lovely colour and it'll tone down the, er, purple. Purple really isn't a forgiving colour is it? I had to wear a purple silk empire line dress with pouffy sleeves and a juliet cap  tied under the chin when I was a bridesmaid for my cousin as a little girl. It kind of scarred me for life. And no, there are no pictures.

Edited to add: I just remembered that the juliet cap was covered with huge sewn on daisies -shudder. 
Wow, Erin, that's beautiful!
Good thing you can knit, Erin.

How about Navy Blue polyester crepe?  It was a long distance arrangement, all she had said on the phone was, "it's blue!  you'll love it!"  When I opened the fedex box I cried my eyes out!  There were bell sleeves and a square neckline, empire waist...and it cost $150. [Image: sobstory.gif]
Monica Wrote:Good thing you can knit, Erin.

How about Navy Blue polyester crepe?  It was a long distance arrangement, all she had said on the phone was, "it's blue!  you'll love it!"  When I opened the fedex box I cried my eyes out!  There were bell sleeves and a square neckline, empire waist...and it cost $150. [Image: sobstory.gif]

[Image: laff.gif] I feel your pain!
(03-05-2008, 01:45 AM)SaraLucille Wrote: I was talking about something like one of these:

[Image: pic1.jpg][Image: pic1.jpg]

The head is obviously covered, but it doesn't necessarily stand out.

It's really up to the wearer as to what is comfortable and appropriate for her. If your head is covered, and you feel covered, I think its appropriate. A veil is always preferable, but in this situation, its tough.

I was looking at my grandmother's wedding photos the other day (1958) and the bridesmaids were wearing a sort of hoop with white tulle (?) on top of their heads.

Just offering some ideas. [Image: smile.gif]

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/SARABR%7E1.CHE/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/SARABR%7E1.CHE/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/SARABR%7E1.CHE/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/img]

not through the thread yet, but where did you find that! It would be perfect for my lil sis's wedding!

Never mind, I just saw the link!