For all you boozers out there
Well, maybe not boozers. Drunkeness is a sin, but we're not a bunch of Puritans.

Does anyone here like to drink hard cider. I like it in the autumn. One of the things that is interesting about this drink, which I only learned a few years ago, is that it was widely drunk in the Middle Ages even more so than beer and ale. I find that interesting.

In a similar vein, I'm irritated with the church my family attended since their arrival from Germany in the 1800's. I no longer go there because I don't live in the same town and there is no Latin mass there. However, up until this year, they have had an Oktoberfest every fall and I did attend that. Now, this year, they are no longer doing that.

The Catholic Church in America is almost as Marxist as the Public School system. Any barbaric culture is fine but we must purify ourselves of every smack of decent, Christian, European culture.

Oktoberfest is based on traditional harvest fests while its Bavarian incarnation which is most familiar to everyone, derives from some Bavarian ruler's wedding feast (I think.) It might have been poor mad Ludwig, but I don't know.

Hell, I'll just have to have one in my own house!
I like cider on a hot day- and a little on the dry side.
When it is cold, I prefer a stout.
Brennus Wrote:Does anyone here like to drink hard cider. I like it in the autumn. One of the things that is interesting about this drink, which I only learned a few years ago, is that it was widely drunk in the Middle Ages even more so than beer and ale. I find that interesting.

Back when I used to drink, I enjoyed having mead now and then, for that truly retro medieval experience.

Brennus Wrote:However, up until this year, they have had an Oktoberfest every fall and I did attend that. Now, this year, they are no longer doing that.

My indult parish has an annual Oktoberfest celebration. I am beginning to think that Trad = German lately :-)

-Matt-
I like this drink called a "black & tan" or a "snake-bite".

CRUCIAL: if you're in an Irish bar one of these terms can get your head busted open.

And I can't remember which one! (so, order carefully)

Anway, it's 1/2 dry cider and 1/2 Guiness stout. Mmmmm!!!! Can you say Autumnal?
ultramontane Wrote:But I've never seen the same kind of cider here. Does anyone know where I might find it?    

Back in the days when products like this came in glass and unpasteurized, my uncle and his friends used to toss gallons of cider in the trunk of a car and let it slosh around all winter. By spring, I assume, it was hard. I have no idea how it didn't freeze- they lived in Detroit. They also used to drive the car out onto the lake when it was covered with ice, so I know for sure things were freezing! [Image: crazy.gif] 
Quote:
I assume, it was hard. I have no idea how it didn't freeze- they lived in Detroit

It must have had a rather high alcoholic content.[Image: beer2.gif]

Quote:Anway, it's 1/2 dry cider and 1/2 Guiness stout. Mmmmm!!!! Can you say Autumnal?

I had this once, but it was Bass on the bottom and Guiness on the top.[Image: waytogo.gif]

Well, I saw "boozers" and had to come in.

Now, this "Black and Tan" -- this is a drink the barman mixes? As opposed to something one can buy a bottle of? 'Cause if it is, then we can mix them ourselves. Yes. And one day I shall, Deo volente.

Plain old hard cider is very, very nice! But then, any cider is nice. I like it mulled with spices, or even just nuked. I do like it on a boat, I do like it with a goat. I do like the apple cider.

Oh, and sparkling apple cider -- yummeroosky!

(Hey, wait, it just hit me: "Sam I AM" -- isn't that blasphemous? What's that "I AM" bit about? Is he claiming to be God, or just that he am, indeed, Sam?)
I have tried to make Black and Tans before, and I had to drink an awful lot of mistakes. I just didn't have the right equipment.

Quote:  
It must have had a rather high alcoholic content.  

Well, I thought of that, but it didn't have any alcohol content when it went into the trunk.[Image: shrug.gif]
I think she meant that afterwards, it would have had a very high alcohol content...
Quote:Now, this "Black and Tan" -- this is a drink the barman mixes?

Yes -but you can, of course, make it at home. There's just something about Guiness on tap.

Anyway, I don't know about other parts of the country, but in Portland, OR, hard cider is as common as beer and you can buy it in the beer aisle of practically any grocery store.

We have lots of different brands, I think 'Woodpecker' is the most common. Then you have the choice of sweet, dry, semi-dry...