Anyone living around Maple Hill, Kansas?
We're considering moving there. Would like to have some contacts such as Catholics in the community who are home builders, contractors, etc.
I am sorry I do not have any information, maryskey; I am in the same boat you are, so to speak.

I, too, would be interested to speak with anybody living in or around Maple Hill, KS. My family currently lives in Kansas City, MO, but my wife and I have talked several times about moving to Maple Hill in the next few years.

Are there many parishioners that live in Maple Hill or do most commute from Topeka and the surrounding towns? What is the town life like? My wife and I are both from small Kansas towns, and we would love the opportunity to move back to small town life, especially one with a great church/school (and hopefully, Catholic community).
maryskey Wrote:We're considering moving there. Would like to have some contacts such as Catholics in the community who are home builders, contractors, etc.

The Slobodniks are a very nice family (don't have their contact info).  The father is a pillar in the community and head of the Tradition, Family, and Property (TFP) office nearby. 
Thanks.  :)  I am also wondering if anyone knows how the politics are around there betweenthe FSSP and the SSPX (in St. Mary's). If we move there, we intend to attend the FSSP parish. Just would prefer to know what we're getting into before we get there, iykwim. I don't expect perfection anywhere. :)
I notice Kansas only allows medical and religious exemptions for vaccinations. Hmm, that could be a hurdle.
maryskey Wrote:I notice Kansas only allows medical and religious exemptions for vaccinations. Hmm, that could be a hurdle.

How is that a hurdle? I take the religious exemption in Indiana.
I think that most of the home builders you'll find are going to be from Topeka, but I could be wrong.  The St John Vianney community have a lot to be proud of in Maple Hill!  I don't know what relationship they have to St. Mary's.  The two towns are so close that I'm sure there's some history between them.  Knowing what I do about St. Mary's, I'd have a hard time believing that they're not some kind of friction.  But as we all know, friction is sometimes just what some people make of it.

I'd be surprised if most of the parishoners come from Maple Hill, there's just not much to the town.  I'd be pretty surprised if the whole town could field much of a congregation!  There's another FSSP Mass in Topeka, so I wonder if St. John Vianney takes all the non-SSPXer Trads from the rural areas while St. Joseph's in Topeka takes most of the city folk. 

But I think they take in a fairly large surrounding area, because they have the only K-12 FSSP school in the USA, and I really doubt that Maple Hill itself could sustain enrollment in a private school.  I may be wrong, but I bet they draw from a decent swath around them.

You have to really be looking small town life, but otherwise there's a lot to be liked about Maple Hill!
Thank you, gjwaberg.

ATC: I consider it a hurdle because the Church does not explicitly condemn vaccinations. Yes, they look down on those vaccs associated with aborted babies, but not all vaccs are derived that way. The law in KS reads "...the parent is an adherent of a religious denomination whose teachings are opposed to immunizations"  Might I be able to get away with using a religious exemption? perhaps. But I should also be prepared to fight like hell if the state decides to fight it.  I currently live in a state with all three exemptions, and I use the philosophical.
maryskey Wrote:Thanks.  :)  I am also wondering if anyone knows how the politics are around there betweenthe FSSP and the SSPX (in St. Mary's). If we move there, we intend to attend the FSSP parish. Just would prefer to know what we're getting into before we get there, iykwim. I don't expect perfection anywhere. :)

An SSPX priest left the Society in St. Mary's and joined the FSSP, staring St. John Vienny with several former SSPX families.  I think the two communities keep rather peaceably to themselves.  TFP has a big presence at the Maple Hill chapel--several of the men are members with monthly meetings, speakers, rosaries outside abortion mills, etc. 

Every September the parish has a pig roast, hosted in part by TFP which provides speakers, plays, and a candle-light vigil.  I forget the family's name that host the event (Mr. Slobodnik would know), but the father is a master carpenter and builder.  Judging from their country home which he built himself, I would highly recommend him as a builder!!!

That said, as I go to SSPX chapel in Tulsa, there is a lot to offer through St. Mary's as well--FSSP-friendly parishioners, a nice town, and a few thousand like-minded Catholics!!
Hello Maryskey,

After posting my last response to your topic I remembered the name of the excellent carpenter/builder who goes to Mass at Maple Hill.  His name is Mr. Shibler!  [Image: thumb.gif]

Chris