Hookahs
Archbishop_10K Wrote:So I went to this hookah cafe with my friends after Mass, and they tried to introduce me to the wonders of the water pipe. I tried it a few times but didn't feel anything (I had more fun watching pop stars on the Arabic channel). Having never smoked anything before, though, I was surprised that I didn't feel irritated at all or any need to cough. I was wondering, therefore, if the hookah can be considered a cleaner alternative to cigarettes. Thoughts?

I own a Hookah pipe, myself. I find it is quite enjoyable and I prefer it to cigarettes but, I don't use it very often because there are not many places near me that have the Tobacco and Charcoal that are needed for it.

The reason it doesn't irritate is because of the cold smoke from the water (or ice; which ever you prefer), however, it probably has the same effects of Cigarettes.

Archbishop_10K Wrote:I was wondering, therefore, if the hookah can be considered a cleaner alternative to cigarettes. Thoughts?

Nope, it's worse. You can pretty much keep track of the # of cigarettes you smoke, but not so with hookah. I read somewhere that quoted the Mayo Clinic, a 1 hour session can equal 100 cigarettes!
Never smoked a hookah, but I will tell you that I can't inhale cigarette or cigar smoke, but I can inhale pipe smoke, I guess its just a more natural tobacco.