GM food good: Vatican in policy switch
Genetics News
May 21, 2008
GM food good: Vatican in policy switch
The Vatican has stunned opponents of genetically modified foods by declaring they hold the answer to world starvation and malnutrition.
[-]
  •
I'd rather eat genetically modified foods than adopting means of "population control" like abortion.
Quote:
Velasio De Paolis, a professor of canon law at the Pontifical Urban University, said it was "easy to say no to GM food if your stomach is full".

This is a very true statement. I am, in principle, against GM food, overly processed food, etc. I eat organic whenever I can, drink raw unpasteurized milk, and prefer grass-fed beef and free-range eggs and poultry.

But ... I have never been hungry a day in my life. I've never been so poor that I wonder how I will feed my children. I worry more about excess weight gain than malnutrition because of insufficient calories or nutrients.

If my biggest concern was having enough food to eat versus having an abundance of food to choose from, I doubt that I'd be too concerned whether it was GM or not.
Aviano Wrote:This is a very true statement. I am, in principle, against GM food, overly processed food, etc. I eat organic whenever I can, drink raw unpasteurized milk, and prefer grass-fed beef and free-range eggs and poultry.

But ... I have never been hungry a day in my life. I've never been so poor that I wonder how I will feed my children. I worry more about excess weight gain than malnutrition because of insufficient calories or nutrients.

I agree 100 %.  It is reasonable to believe that since there IS intelligent design in the universe, food the way God designed it is probably going to be better for you.  Of course, with genetics as with other potential problems man has introduced into the food chain, such as pesticides, removing nutrients to mass produce bread, milk, etc. many cannot afford to eat the healthier alternatives.

I have reservations as to genetically altered food because I do not think scientists know enough to avoid potential problems we haven't even dreamed of yet.  It is far more complicated than having mercury in fish or DDT in water sources.  Mere common sense tells us that the consumption of poisons greater than the body's capacity to combat them will result in illness.  What will happen from genetically altered food?  Who knows?

However, I have never considered the issue from the angle of those poor people suffering from hunger.  Using such means to combat starvation makes for a compelling argument for the use of the technology.
I am a bit fearful as well over the direction genetics will take in general and the Pandora's Box of moral issues being unleashed related to genetics as we speak.