My Grandma's Recipe (sweet)
OK, my Irish-side Grandma used to make this all the time. I got to thinking about them (I think about food a lot, especially delectable sweet stuff) and had to make it myself. I used more brown sugar and cinnamon than Granny used to and, God forgive me, I think I like it my way even better. I think most people call these "Pull-Aparts," but my family always called them by the funny name "Pluckets" (I reckon because one plucks pieces off). Here's a pic of the one I made (I had to take a pic of it to send to my sister as a blast from the past) and the recipe:

[Image: plucket.jpg]

Grandma Dorothy Wood's Plucket

1 pkg yeast
1/2 c. warm water
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter, melted
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. milk, scalded
3 eggs (preferably from my Chicken*)
4 c. flour
1 c. brown sugar (I used about 2 cups)
3 tsp cinnamon (I used about 6)
more melted butter for rolling

Dissolve yeast in the 1/2 c. warm water.

Mix white sugar, butter, salt, and scalded milk. Let cool to lukewarm, then mix in yeast mixture, eggs, and flour. Beat thoroughly. Let rise 'til doubled. Stir down.

Mix brown sugar and cinnamon.

Form dough into balls by the teaspoonsful, then dip balls in melted butter, roll in brown sugar-cinnamon mixture, pile loosely in an ungreased tube pan, and let rise for 30 minutes.

Bake at 400 for 10 minutes, then at 350 for 30 minutes. Turn pan upside down immediately.

Pull pieces off and eat with yummy butter. Then post here and tell me if you like it!

[Image: petuniachicken.jpg]

a lot of people call it 'monkeybread'
We call it 'Tear & Share Bread'.
Going to give that recipe a try; will your chicken lay 3 eggs for me[Image: biggrin.gif]

Spero

Mom Wrote:a lot of people call it 'monkeybread'

Ahhh, so that's what "monkeybread" is (what a cute name.. sorta beats "pluckets," but I'm a traditionalist LOL).

Spero Wrote:We call it 'Tear & Share Bread'.
Going to give that recipe a try; will your chicken lay 3 eggs for me

Miss Petunia would definitely lay three eggs for you. All I have to do is tell her the corn I give her is from Spero and she'd be glad to oblige. She's a GREAT layer -- almost always daily, with a one-day break now and again. Perfectly beautiful brown eggs with yolks so "yellow" they're a deep, deep orange. Hmmm... you're making me want to post in Pig Roast about Petunia.. I have a series of pictures someone out there might get a kick out of.. Off to post :)  (Let me know if that recipe turns out good for you if you try it! And, if you do, while mixing the dough, say a Hail Mary for the repose of Grandma, will ya?)
Will stone-ground whole grain spelt flour work?
And lard and/or coconut oil instead of butter?
I give Vox's Plucket 5 stars.  She yells at me when I eat it without spreading butter on the pieces, but who can wait to put cake in their mouth?

BTW, the photo is of one Vox actually made (and that I ate).

CM, I dunno - whole grain flour is going to change the texture an awful lot.  With yeast, the fats in the butter affect the yeast, and lard and / or oil are not going to give the same taste; in fact, I wouldn't even consider lard for the part where you butter them and roll them in the sugar.

You might be able to get away with margarine...
Catholicmilkman Wrote:Will stone-ground whole grain spelt flour work?

It will work, but the result will be heavier.  Also, you will probably need to use a little more.

I would use coconut oil not lard, but butter will get you the best flavor.
Johanna Wrote:I would use coconut oil not lard, but butter will get you the best flavor.
Why not lard?
VoxClamantis Wrote:

[Image: plucket.jpg]

I don't know what that is but it looks absolutely mouth watering. I'm a sucker for cinnamon. I wish I could bake.