My Grandma's Recipe (sweet)
ronyu02 Wrote:I wish I could bake.

Wishing won't make it happen.  The only way to learn how to bake is to start baking.
Catholicmilkman Wrote:
Johanna Wrote:I would use coconut oil not lard, but butter will get you the best flavor.
Why not lard?

Personal prejudice.  I don't like to use lard in sweet recipes, I don't think it adds to the flavor.  Actually, as a pastry arts major, I'm butter's #1 fan for this kind of thing - and it's really not much worse for you.  If you're fond of lard, it would probably work alright too.  One option would be to use part butter and part some other fat.
ronyu02 Wrote:I don't know what that is but it looks absolutely mouth watering. I'm a sucker for cinnamon. I wish I could bake.

You can totally do this! As long as you don't kill the yeast by having your water too hot (the water -- straight out of the tap -- should be at skin temperature and not feel cool or hot on your wrist), and as long as your oven temperature's accurate (get an oven thermometer if you're not sure and aren't clear about how to eye it/test it to see when it's done), you're good to go. Really! Just keep the yeast mixture and, later, the dough in a warmish place while it rises and such (cover the bowl with a tea towel or something to trap the warmth).
Me, I'm a sucker -- a big sucker -- for cinnamon (and brown sugar), too. And this plucket thing is reallllllly good (with butter!). I think you should make one. Then make a pot of coffee, get out an ashtray, and invite me over :)
For PsychoMonkey's last Father's Day, the boys and I made "Banana Chocolate Chip Monkey Bread" for breakfast because he loves bananas and it sounded so apropos. :laughing: We loved the sugar coated sections that you pull apart--it was our first experience with monkey bread! We will definitely try this one...it looks soooo good!
Johanna Wrote:...[snip] as a pastry arts major [snip]

Man, I wish I could siphon out the pastry knowledge from your brain and make use of it...
I'm trying that asap! I have a feeling it won't last more than five minutes in this house...
We cheat and use tube biscuits (the flaky, layered kind). Quarter each biscuit, roll the pieces in a ball. Then dredge in melted butter, and sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Not as good as what grandma made (I'm sure) but it works better with small kids. Makes them feel like Betty Crocker!
Edited to add link: http://www.instructables.com/id/%5bColle...key-Bread/

VoxClamantis Wrote:
ronyu02 Wrote:I don't know what that is but it looks absolutely mouth watering. I'm a sucker for cinnamon. I wish I could bake.

You can totally do this! As long as you don't kill the yeast by having your water too hot (the water -- straight out of the tap -- should be at skin temperature and not feel cool or hot on your wrist), and as long as your oven temperature's accurate (get an oven thermometer if you're not sure and aren't clear about how to eye it/test it to see when it's done), you're good to go. Really! Just keep the yeast mixture and, later, the dough in a warmish place while it rises and such (cover the bowl with a tea towel or something to trap the warmth).
Me, I'm a sucker -- a big sucker -- for cinnamon (and brown sugar), too. And this plucket thing is reallllllly good (with butter!). I think you should make one. Then make a pot of coffee, get out an ashtray, and invite me over :)

I'm a frustrated cook, lol. I do like preparing simple snacks for my little sisters. The recipe does sound easy for a beginner. Might just give it a try someday. After I figure out how to work the oven. :)

ETA: How much yeast is 1 pkg anyway? (Heh, you can totally tell I've never baked before.)
DarkKnight Wrote:We cheat and use tube biscuits (the flaky, layered kind). Quarter each biscuit, roll the pieces in a ball. Then dredge in melted butter, and sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Not as good as what grandma made (I'm sure) but it works better with small kids. Makes them feel like Betty Crocker!

Thats how I know the recipe. In fact when I was looking at the ingredients I was sleepily thinking "I don't see biscuits."

I'll try it like this since I can't afford canned biscuits anymore. [Image: pointandlaff.gif] :broke:
Paloma Wrote:
DarkKnight Wrote:We cheat and use tube biscuits (the flaky, layered kind). Quarter each biscuit, roll the pieces in a ball. Then dredge in melted butter, and sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Thats how I know the recipe. In fact when I was looking at the ingredients I was sleepily thinking "I don't see biscuits."

I'll try it like this since I can't afford canned biscuits anymore. [Image: pointandlaff.gif] :broke:

We were saved because just had a grocery outlet open @ $0.79/tube!