Fish Eaters (literally)
My Fish Friday lunch today:

Fried Shrimp and Oyster Po-boy with Romaine Lettuce, Mayo and Cajun Chef hot sauce.  A pickled Okra, Sweet Gherkin, and a few Black (Greek) Olives on the side.  All made right here in my own little kitchen from ingredients purchased earlier this morning at the local seafood market.

Washed down with a Splenda Diet Coke, of course! 

And, I did eat a couple of the oysters raw because they were so fresh and looked so good.  Oh, my!  I wish I could just go visit a vomitorium and then eat the whole works again!

Oh.  Archie.  A Po-boy is a kind of sammich . . .

One more thing.  Been doing a lot of virtual popcorn eating today, it's given me a jones for the real thing.  Perhaps this afternoon.

BD
Sounds nice.  I've got reservations for a windowside table in the glamorous Employee Breakroom.  I think I'll be having frozen microwavable pizza.  Spinach and mushroom, please waitress?  And I'd like it to be slightly rubbery, thankyouverymuch.

It sucks being poor.
A slice of cheese on wheat bread. 

Bleah!

That's what I get for being in a hurry this morning and forgetting to make some tuna salad or something last night.
Wow.  I was trying to encourage folks that Friday doesn't have to be a bad thing, but the first two responses to my thread make me feel bad that I couldn't share with them.
Anyway, I thought it would be fun for folks to have a thread for Friday meal ideas.  Catholics eating well on Fridays is a big deal here in Louisiana.
Don't get me wrong, the concept that "meatless Friday is penance" is kind of hard to accept.  I've had to add to it a bit, it's not really a penance to me.

But if we're swapping Friday recipes, here's a good one for summer when your zucchinis and tomatoes are taking over.

ZUCCHINI CRUST PIZZA

Step one: pick tomatoes, basil, oregano, parsley, garlic and onions.  Make marinara. (I didn't plant garlic this year! [Image: doh.gif]).

Take two medium sized zucchinis (or one of the mammajammas that you should have picked two days ago!) and grate it like cheese.  You want about 3 cups.  Do your best to dry it out as well as possible, push it through a strainer, blot with paper towel, spin it in your salad spinner, whatever.  The drier the better.  Then mix it with 1/2 cup flour and 2 beaten eggs.  Smoosh the mix into a well-oiled 9x13 pan; I used a pyrex dish, but something shallower will make it easier to serve.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or so-- it'll brown up and congeal into one solid crust.  Top with your marinara sauce. Don't go overboard!  The crust is delicate and can't take a heavy saucing.

Top with 2 cups of shredded mozarella, sliced olives, onion, mushrooms, bell peppers and other whatnot.  Bake another 10-15 minutes until the cheeze is melty delicious.  Sprinkle thinly sliced pepperoncinis on top and serve. 

It's total deliciousness.
I was taught that Fridays were NOT about penance.  It was about giving meat (which could be dried / jerked and preserved for military use) to the crusaders.

Was this wrong?  I learned it from a Jesuit.

BD
Pffft.  Jesuits.  [Image: eyes.gif]

Just kidding.  Sort of.

Anyway, here's what I learned from Good VoxClamantis on the main FE site.  http://www.fisheaters.com/fasting.html

FE Wrote:In the time of Christ's Incarnation, practitioners of the Old Testament religion fasted or abstained on Mondays and Thursdays, but Christians opted to take Wednesdays (the day Our Lord was betrayed) and Fridays (the day Our Lord was crucified) as their penitential days.

Wednesdays and Fridays are still days of penance in most Eastern Catholic Churches (and among the Orthodox), but in the Roman Church, only Fridays, as memorials to the day our Lord was crucified, remain as weekly penitential days on which abstinence from meat and other forms of penance are expected as the norm. 1 From the 1983 Code of Canon Law:

Quote:Can. 1249 All Christ's faithful are obliged by divine law, each in his or her own way, to do penance. However, so that all may be joined together in a certain common practice of penance, days of penance are prescribed. On these days the faithful are in a special manner to devote themselves to prayer, to engage in works of piety and charity, and to deny themselves, by fulfilling their obligations more faithfully and especially by observing the fast and abstinence which the following canons prescribe.

Can. 1250 The days and times of penance for the universal Church are each Friday of the whole year and the season of Lent.

Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Can. 1252 The law of abstinence binds those who have completed their fourteenth year. The law of fasting binds those who have attained their majority, until the beginning of their sixtieth year. Pastors of souls and parents are to ensure that even those who by reason of their age are not bound by the law of fasting and abstinence, are taught the true meaning of penance.

Can. 1253 The Episcopal Conference can determine more particular ways in which fasting and abstinence are to be observed. In place of abstinence or fasting it can substitute, in whole or in part, other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety.
Check with your local Bishops to see what you are bound to in your area. (Most traditional Catholics keep the Friday abstinence whether bound to by their local Bishops or not).
That's what I get for listening to the interpretation rather than looking it up.  However, I still wonder.  If you can abstain, and still derive enjoyment, isn't that "rejoicing in all things", and avoiding a pharisaeical (sp?) form of suffering?
I LIKE fish, often better than meat.  Wow.

I've been dispensed, due to an intestinal surgery, from fasting and abstinence, anyway, so it's all a bit academic.  I have to maintain my prescribed diet (high protien).  But I do use seafood and nuts as my protien source on Fridays.

Hmm.  I have to reconsider this whole thing.  Maybe celebrating Fish Fridays is the wrong thing for me, and other Louisianans, to do!
EDIT:  The "Pffft, Jesuits" remark is right on the money.  Don't you just love them?  I really do, but they're very liberal, in my experience.  But very committed to Christ.  I just need to verify everything they ever taught me about doctrine and discipline.

I'd prescribe you starting eating dirt and thumbtacks while drinking coffee made from pencil shavings.  It's really the only option.
I don't think of fish as penance at all. We had baked haddock and veg (home grown except for the haddock, which came from Iceland, and we didn't forget to plant garlic this year, ha!) for dinner this evening. It was very tasty indeed.

Lunch sucked though!!