Fish Eaters (literally)
Sounds pretty horrible, actually... poor Walberg...
gjwalberg Wrote:
Richeldis Wrote:
gjwalberg Wrote:  
Heck, in college I survived on Ragu sandwiches (they did not qualify as sammiches).  You take 2 pieces of cheap white bread and smear spaghetti sauce betwixt them.  Then lean over the kitchen sink to eat it.  Wash it down with 1.5 gallons of beer.  Repeat.

[Image: laff.gif] That is just revolting!!!

Pfft.  Shows what you know.  [Image: beer.gif][Image: gimmefood.gif]

I did the same thing but with Hershey's chocolate syrup instead of Ragu, and I'd wash it down with a Coke.  Learnin' requires a good sugar supply.
BrotherDave Wrote:That's what I get for listening to the interpretation rather than looking it up.  However, I still wonder.  If you can abstain, and still derive enjoyment, isn't that "rejoicing in all things", and avoiding a pharisaeical (sp?) form of suffering?
I LIKE fish, often better than meat.  Wow.

I've been dispensed, due to an intestinal surgery, from fasting and abstinence, anyway, so it's all a bit academic.  I have to maintain my prescribed diet (high protien).  But I do use seafood and nuts as my protien source on Fridays.

Hmm.  I have to reconsider this whole thing.  Maybe celebrating Fish Fridays is the wrong thing for me, and other Louisianans, to do!

Well, my additional take on it is there are two aspects to no meat on Fridays.  It can be penance, but it can also serve to remind us it's Friday and we should be mindful of Good Friday. So, we can always do an additional penance and use the no meat as a reminder.  I can find plenty to eat that has no meat and is tasty. 

One SSPX priest gave a sermon on fasts and abstinences, and he brought up the point it is also an exercise.  By giving up what we can lawfully have in life, it is easier to walk away from things that are sinful.  So if we give up meat on Friday, we have created a practice of self-denial that will help us avoid sin.

Though, I agree it is very difficult for me to view eggplant parmesan as self-denial.  Especially with dago red wine.

Quote:EDIT:  The "Pffft, Jesuits" remark is right on the money.  Don't you just love them?  I really do, but they're very liberal, in my experience.  But very committed to Christ.  I just need to verify everything they ever taught me about doctrine and discipline.

I was educated by them for eight years, and I adored every minute of it except theology class.  In fact, my most orthodox theology profs at a Jesuit university were a Protestant and a Jew who taught Scriptural courses.

One Jesuit I had for Sacramental Theology used Hans Kung The Church as the course text.  No joke.  I still hear the "theory of liminality" with regard to baptism echo in my brain like some Satanic call to this day.
I was worried about being late for a final exam given by a Lutheran religion professor, so one of the Jesuits told me that if he gave me any trouble to say that I was predestined to be late.  [Image: laff.gif]
frerejacques Wrote:I was worried about being late for a final exam given by a Lutheran religion professor, so one of the Jesuits told me that if he gave me any trouble to say that I was predestined to be late. [Image: laff.gif]

Hahahahahaha! Good one!
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
QuisUtDeus Wrote:
brotherdave Wrote:EDIT:  The "Pffft, Jesuits" remark is right on the money.  Don't you just love them?  I really do, but they're very liberal, in my experience.  But very committed to Christ.  I just need to verify everything they ever taught me about doctrine and discipline.

I was educated by them for eight years, and I adored every minute of it except theology class.  In fact, my most orthodox theology profs at a Jesuit university were a Protestant and a Jew who taught Scriptural courses.

One Jesuit I had for Sacramental Theology used Hans Kung The Church as the course text.  No joke.  I still hear the "theory of liminality" with regard to baptism echo in my brain like some Satanic call to this day.

I had a course in Liturgy, and Father (SJ) spent much of his effort teaching us that liminality is the litmus test of good liturgies -- my paraphrase, it's difficult to boil a semester into a paragraph, however.

My RCIA was Jesuit.  I wasn't taught one line of Catechism, wasn't taught how to say a Rosary, and was told all sorts of things that were at best only partly true, such as the "meat on Friday" having to do with preserving food for the Crusades, not "fasting", and that's why it is called abstinence instead of fasting, that sort of thing.

But I meant what I said about the SJ.  Liberal, for the most part, but those men are dedicated to what they're doing and I believe they love our Lord.  They have sacrificed everything to be who they are, even personal property (which Secular priests don't have to do).  I have a great respect for them, and a strong bond of brotherly love for a number of the individuals.
BD
frerejacques Wrote:I was worried about being late for a final exam given by a Lutheran religion professor, so one of the Jesuits told me that if he gave me any trouble to say that I was predestined to be late.  [Image: laff.gif]
That's funny, I don't care who you are!

I've been saying for years (and in my mind I made it up, but who knows for sure):

I was raised in a liberal Presbyterian Church, which is to say that I was taught to believe nothing -- except that I was predestined to not believe it.

BD 
Kateri Wrote:
51olds Wrote:Potato tacos baby!!

Mmmm.  What's the recipe for that?

I think I could eat almost anything if it was wrapped in a tortilla and had enchilada sauce on it.  And a glass of sangria to go with. [Image: gimmefood.gif][Image: wine.gif]

Mashed potatoes, and tortillas. Frying pan, cooking oil.
Top with tomato sauce (hunts, delMonte, etc.)
easy piece, Japenese
If anyone has recipes, feel free to share!
A lot of what we eat is dictated by what we're pulling out of the garden.  Another summertime zucchini-using favorite is to cut the zucchini into 1/4 inch (or slightly smaller) pieces-- half moons or quarters of that if you didn't pick your squash in time-- drizzle lightly and toss in some olive oil, toss with some finely chopped onions and some minced garlic.  Put in the middle of a plate-- not too much, no.  Lay a flaky fish filet on top of them; we do this a lot with tilapia.  Other plain whitefish would work, but you don't want something too substantial, make sure it's a thin cut of fish.  Salt, pepper, cover the whole thing tightly with cling-wrap and nuke for a couple minutes until the fish is cooked all the way through.  Serve and eat!

In the spring when the spinach is really full, this is even better than the zucchini!