Fish Eaters (literally)
gjwalberg Wrote:A lot of what we eat is dictated by what we're pulling out of the garden.  Another summertime zucchini-using favorite is to cut the zucchini into 1/4 inch (or slightly smaller) pieces-- half moons or quarters of that if you didn't pick your squash in time-- drizzle lightly and toss in some olive oil, toss with some finely chopped onions and some minced garlic.  Put in the middle of a plate-- not too much, no.  Lay a flaky fish filet on top of them; we do this a lot with tilapia.  Other plain whitefish would work, but you don't want something too substantial, make sure it's a thin cut of fish.  Salt, pepper, cover the whole thing tightly with cling-wrap and nuke for a couple minutes until the fish is cooked all the way through.  Serve and eat!

In the spring when the spinach is really full, this is even better than the zucchini!

That's sounds similar to something I make.

Its Fake-A$$ Ratatouille with Tilapia (I should work for Betty Crocker)

I take an eggplant, sautee it in a little oil and remove from the pan

Then I sautee a medium diced onion in a little oil in the same pan
-then add a diced zucchini
-a couple cloves of smashed garlic
- then I unleash a can of diced tomatoes (I'd use fresh, but I like the juice)
- add the eggplant back in
- simmer on low with a good heaping teaspoon of Herbs de Provence and salt and pepper to taste

In the meanwhile I have tilapia under the broiler that's been basted with a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, garlic, and pepper

I make a mound of Fake-A$$ Ratatouille on the plate and place a couple tilapia filets on top. Then I smile with self-satisfaction because I'm such an awesome cook. And an excellent gardener because most of the ingredients come from my backyard.
Paloma Wrote:Then I smile with self-satisfaction because I'm such an awesome cook. And an excellent gardener because most of the ingredients come from my backyard.

That sounds good! (except for the eggplant part which is gross and awful)

But none of my tilapia plants came in this year.  I've had to buy it all from the store.  [Image: frown.gif]
gjwalberg Wrote:
Paloma Wrote:Then I smile with self-satisfaction because I'm such an awesome cook. And an excellent gardener because most of the ingredients come from my backyard.

But none of my tilapia plants came in this year.  I've had to buy it all from the store.  [Image: frown.gif]

That there's funny.  I don't care where y'all are . . .
BD
gjwalberg Wrote:

You have to use the right fertilizer. Even then, my tilapia plants got aphids so I had to go buy me a bag o' ladybugs. Worked great.

I did say "most" didn't I? :fish

gjwalberg Wrote:

But none of my tilapia plants came in this year. I've had to buy it all from the store. [Image: frown.gif]

Hahahahaha. Tilapia plants. :lol:
S.A.G. ~ Kathy ~ Sanguine-choleric. Have fun...or else.

Adoramus te, Christe, et benedicimus tibi, quia per sanctam crucem tuam redemisti mundum.
Leftover magic for this week:

Leftover mac-n-cheese (the white cheddar kind)
leftover peas
leftover corn
can of mushrooms
can of tuna

Throw it all together and call it whatever name you like.  It's actually pretty good.
Kateri Wrote:Leftover magic for this week:

Leftover mac-n-cheese (the white cheddar kind)
leftover peas
leftover corn
can of mushrooms
can of tuna

Throw it all together and call it whatever name you like.  It's actually pretty good.

About every 8 or 10 days, the chefs of the WRC Estate serves musgoes.  It's awesome.

You know, all that food that just Mus Go.

Sometimes it makes for some weird pairings, waffles with bratwurst served with asparagus tips with bananas and grapes for dessert, but waste not, want not.
We went to the dollar store and bought waaaaaaaaaay too much fruit, so tonight we'll be having the Chimpanzee Special...

[Image: 080130092139largeka2.jpg]