Traditional Catholic Wedding Dresses
Veritas, that sounds absolutely lovely!
You will be glorious, Veritas. I love art nouveau, too, and good material ... but you obviously have a lot more experience sewing than I do. How satisfying to rely so much on your own knowledge and skill.
Satori Wrote:You will be glorious, Veritas. I love art nouveau, too, and good material ... but you obviously have a lot more experience sewing than I do. How satisfying to rely so much on your own knowledge and skill.

I learned to sew and embroider from my great great grandmother when I was really little. She taught me the same way she was taught, by sewing yarn into construction paper. She was picky and fast but I learned a lot. By the time I took home ec in seventh grade, I was always the first one done but I did not learn anything new because it was basic sewing. It was not until I went to high school and started working on the drama department productions that I truly became a master.

The adult who supervised me (I was her only helper) was a former seamstress who had years of experience from sewing in the fashion district and for Broadway. She even had a great name... Mona Miller but she insisted on being called Miss Mona rather than Mrs Miller. With her, I became an expert at sewing all kinds of things. She taught me the intricasies of sewing. I learned how to alter a pattern, how to create a pattern from a paper design, how fabrics move and how their weight affects their movement, how to create and use structure and understructure (yes, I have welded a hoop frame and burnt the living daylights off my hands doing so), how to alter already made clothes, how to make a customized dress form cheaply... I also learned to love, love, love sewing.

Now, with that being said, I can make the most complicated dress with intricate stitching but I cannot make a simple quilt. Silly, huh?

veritas Wrote:
Satori Wrote:You will be glorious, Veritas. I love art nouveau, too, and good material ... but you obviously have a lot more experience sewing than I do. How satisfying to rely so much on your own knowledge and skill.

I learned to sew and embroider from my great great grandmother when I was really little. She taught me the same way she was taught, by sewing yarn into construction paper. She was picky and fast but I learned a lot. By the time I took home ec in seventh grade, I was always the first one done but I did not learn anything new because it was basic sewing. It was not until I went to high school and started working on the drama department productions that I truly became a master.

The adult who supervised me (I was her only helper) was a former seamstress who had years of experience from sewing in the fashion district and for Broadway. She even had a great name... Mona Miller but she insisted on being called Miss Mona rather than Mrs Miller. With her, I became an expert at sewing all kinds of things. She taught me the intricasies of sewing. I learned how to alter a pattern, how to create a pattern from a paper design, how fabrics move and how their weight affects their movement, how to create and use structure and understructure (yes, I have welded a hoop frame and burnt the living daylights off my hands doing so), how to alter already made clothes, how to make a customized dress form cheaply... I also learned to love, love, love sewing.

Now, with that being said, I can make the most complicated dress with intricate stitching but I cannot make a simple quilt. Silly, huh?
You sound like my mother. Thanks to her, I had beautiful clothes growing up, but I didn't have the patience to become as skilled as she.

I tried to quilt a block once. Boring. 
Satori Wrote:I tried to quilt a block once. Boring. 

Have you tried applique? That could really liven things up a bit so you don't find yourself falling asleep while looking at your block pattern. LOL I like to do an 8x10 with alternating plain blocks and applique blocks. You could also do a simple 3x3 wall hanging with cute cat appliques (or whatever little thing suits your fancy).
HappyWife Wrote:
Satori Wrote:I tried to quilt a block once. Boring. 

Have you tried applique? That could really liven things up a bit so you don't find yourself falling asleep while looking at your block pattern. LOL I like to do an 8x10 with alternating plain blocks and applique blocks. You could also do a simple 3x3 wall hanging with cute cat appliques (or whatever little thing suits your fancy).

They don't suit my fancy at all. I like quilts on the bed and that's it.
Yes, it is Father Young. Smiley I am proud to say he gave us our classes and married us.
Here your help
Go to the http://www.weddingforward.com/vintage-in...g-dresses/ resource to know everything about the vintage wedding. So many nice photos you can watch there! It is the best resource for girls who can make their wedding unforgettable and luxury. Here you found bilious of pieces of advice how to organize everything correctly and made the rightly chose. I can safely recommend the portal for everyone; I use it all the time.