Traditional Catholic Wedding Dresses
Oh my gosh, the drippy candlelight sleeves on the first jacket that Sara linked to are just to die for!

I am a sucker for long drippy sleeves. My favoritest costume for the Ren Fest has them. Anyhoo, in looking up these sleeves, I found this! If anyone wants to get married at the Ren Fest (Monkey and I have honestly talked about renewing our vows like that) or likes themed weddings this dress might do:   
 [Image: fancyaccside.jpg]

There are more shots of it and similar dresses here: http://www.arcanelore.com/wedding/wedding2.htm

Yes, I know, I'm such a geek....

Edited to remove links that for some reason made the page twice as long...
Ooh, I love that dress, Mommie! I would totally wear that dress, with a long matching veil!

Congrats, btw, Nilla!
Those Renaissance dresses are AWESOME.
I'm partial to this one.... I love the deep red color.. just gorgeous [Image: wench.gif]

[Image: rohanaccfront.jpg]
Spooky Wrote:I'm partial to this one.... I love the deep red color.. just gorgeous [Image: wench.gif]

[Image: rohanaccfront.jpg]

Ooh, I love it too! 'Course, if it was my wedding I guess I would have to leave that beautiful color to the bridesmaids!
Burgundy is one of my favorite colors. I'd love to get married in one of those sets.
I seriously considered getting married in a bridal lehnga... there are GORGEOUS ones!

[Image: PL1737.jpg]

Satori Wrote:I had a lovely wedding for about $2,000, so I'm your girl if you want to talk about how to make things cheaper.

Holy smokes, for real?? Do you care to share a budget you used? I am not looking at getting married for a couple of years, yet, but weddings, of course, fascinate me, and I don't forsee having a lot of money. How did you do it?

shirhamalot
shirhamalot Wrote:
Satori Wrote:I had a lovely wedding for about $2,000, so I'm your girl if you want to talk about how to make things cheaper.

Holy smokes, for real?? Do you care to share a budget you used? I am not looking at getting married for a couple of years, yet, but weddings, of course, fascinate me, and I don't forsee having a lot of money. How did you do it?

shirhamalot
These days people throw away a lot of money on venue -- they pay big bucks to get married some place scenic. Obviously, as Catholics we don't do that -- we get married in our own parishes, which saves a lot of money. However, a lot of Catholics still pay waaaay too much renting a place to have their reception and hiring a caterer. I did neither of those things. Since my parish doesn't have any sort of fellowship hall where we could celebrate after the wedding, a couple who are friends of my husband graciously offered us the use of their home. This was their wedding gift to us. They decorated using their own things and made the food themselves, which meant we actually got to eat things that tasted good. Unless you're going to invite a huge crowd that can't be accomodated by either a private home or church fellowship hall, you can do something like this. You or your fiance probably have a friend or relative with a big living and dining room who would be willing to let you use it if you ask. Even if you end up renting a space, though, you can still keep things cheaper by having your family or friends take care of the food instead of caterers (although some places that rent out their space for weddings will make you use their caterer, so check first!). I'm not talking about potluck, although I have friends whose budget was VERY tight who went that route. You can go some place like Costco or Sam's Club (do they have those in Canada?) and buy quite elegant hors d'oevres in bulk, you can make finger sandwiches and buy a whole lot of mixed nuts and candies, you can have a barbecue or roast a goat in a firepit on the front yard -- whatever. If you do it yourself, even if you decide to serve your guests expensive groceries, it'll still be cheaper than if you hired a professional catering company. Your mother, grandma, or auntie probably has a load of silver plate and a fancy punchbowl that you could use to display the goodies, and you can do what our foremothers did when they got married and ask your dearest friends to preside at said punchbowl or makeshift bar. It used to be considered an honor to serve drinks at someone's wedding.

I paid a friend who is a baker to make our wedding cake. Although it wasn't free, it only cost $130, which is cheap compared to what some professional bakeries charge. If you don't know someone who will cut you a deal or make you a cake as a wedding present, I suggest checking out the bakery at a good grocery store. It may not sound very special, but in my experience those bakeries make perfectly good cakes and decorate them beautifully for very reasonable prices, as long as you didn't want mocha amoretto with layers of marzipan, blown glass rose decorations, and sterling favors embedded in the top layer.

Professional photographers charge shameless amounts these days. I opted to forego their services, which didn't hurt me a bit because I hate the typical professional posed wedding photos anyway. My sister-in-law takes good pictures, so I bought a couple rolls of film and asked her to use them up and give them to me as a wedding gift. If you don't know anyone with this talent who'd be willing to use it on your behalf, I bet you could go to the art department at the nearest university and hire a photography student at a fraction of the cost of a professional. You might actually get some interesting pictures this way, too.

Decorations for the church? I bought not a ribbon -- well, except for the bows to mark the family pews. My parish is beautiful enough, and besides, I got married during the Christmas season. There were already special floral arrangements all over the church, not to mention the Italian creche and the beautiful brocade veil and wreath with which the statue of Our Lady had been adorned for the season. That's one of the reasons I decided to get married on New Year's Eve!

Obviously with my tight budget, there was no way I was going to spend money having invitations printed up. I could have done it REALLY cheaply by buying one of those invitation kits at a craft store and printing them up on my computer -- I think it costs about $30 for 50 invitations, or it did four years ago. However, I wanted something more elegant, so I opted to spend a little bit more and instead bought some very, very high-quality paper and lined envelopes and handwrote the invitations myself. (I have good handwriting, fortunately.) Those grotesquely expensive engraved invitations are just the mass-produced version of handwritten ones anyhow.

You can save yourself money and a headache by foregoing bridesmaids. I realize most women wouldn't want to do this, but honestly I think the whole bridesmaid thing is kind of stupid, so I just didn't have any. That meant I didn't have to buy a bouquet for anyone but myself. If you are really scraping together every last penny you can make this cheaper still by carrying a small clutch bouquet instead of the big trailing ones that brides more commonly carry. Who needs fountains of ivy and roses? You are a Catholic bride, and you can make your bouquet beautiful and unique by twining a special rosary in with the flowers.

Finally, if you or someone who loves you is going to make your wedding dress, before you go to the fabric store, check out an online store called the Dharma Trading Company. They sell various kinds of white silk very cheaply (and they care about where their stuff comes from and how the workers are treated, too).

(By the way, I said it above but I'll say it again: If you're making your dress and are concerned about modesty, don't overlook the costume patterns. I found the late medieval pattern for my dress in the Halloween section of a pattern catalog. You just have to look at all those brightly colored dresses with all of their gold trim and doodads and imagine how they would look made up in luxurious white bridal material with white lace and pearls.)

I hope this helps.
Those dresses are ga-orgeous!

here are some sites that I know of.  and I remember a friend of mine got hers off ebay for like, 400 bucks.

http://www.beautifullymodest.com/

http://www.thebridalworld.com/sheath.html

http://www.jormabridal.com/sleeves_wedding_dress.html