Traditional Catholic Wedding Dresses
Classically elegant is the phrase that jumped into my head for it. Not too many frills...
veritas Wrote:
shirhamalot Wrote:Satori, and Paloma,

Thank you so much for the wedding finance advice! How helpful, and creative! How nice to hear it from those who have been there! I am not opposed to the costume shop idea, either. I actually have a pattern from Fabricville that I just love for a Victorian wedding dress. It's Simplicity 4244. It is fabulous. When I start school again, perhaps I will scan it, to share.

And everybody's wedding pictures look lovely. Thanks to all for sharing. I hope all of our married ladies follow suit!

Pax
SH
[Image: e9cc_1.jpg]

OH!OH!OH!!!!
I have that pattern!!!

I was going to make my wedding dress out of it but I have since changed my mind. It is a very lovely dress pattern but it is a bit complicated (especially with the changes I was going to make) and I just don't have the time or want to expend the energy. Besides, I decided I wanted to get married in velvet instead of satin and that pattern does not lend itself well to velvet.

[img]file:///Users/katyater/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]
I love it, love it, love it. Beautiful, regal, and eccentric. Veritas, please get married in this. I think it would look splendid in ivory velveteen with a fur collar. Please! 
Oh, and Erin, I thought you looked very pretty in your wedding picture, but what would you have worn if you'd had your druthers?
Satori Wrote:Oh, and Erin, I thought you looked very pretty in your wedding picture, but what would you have worn if you'd had your druthers?

I actually found the dress I wanted first, but someone had gotten makeup on it while trying it on and the shop couldn't guarantee it would come out with dry cleaning.

It had a very high boat neck, no sleeves, and was all white satin with a very small train and a slight a-line skirt.  The only embellishment it had was satin covered buttons down the back.  With it, instead of a veil, I would have worn a crown of real flowers.
veritas Wrote:[Image: e9cc_1.jpg]

Oh wow, that looks like something worn in Phantom of the Opera (my favorite musical of all time)! Just gorgeous...
Hey, it does! The model's slight resemblance to Christine (or Emmy Rossum as Christine in the version I saw) helps too.
AgnusDei1989 Wrote:Hey, it does! The model's slight resemblance to Christine (or Emmy Rossum as Christine in the version I saw) helps too.

Oh my gosh, you're right... She does look like Emmy Rossum!
whoa, that weird, she does lol
I love phantom of the opera
Satori Wrote:
veritas Wrote:[Image: e9cc_1.jpg]

OH!OH!OH!!!!
I have that pattern!!!

I was going to make my wedding dress out of it but I have since changed my mind. It is a very lovely dress pattern but it is a bit complicated (especially with the changes I was going to make) and I just don't have the time or want to expend the energy. Besides, I decided I wanted to get married in velvet instead of satin and that pattern does not lend itself well to velvet.

[img]file:///Users/katyater/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]
I love it, love it, love it. Beautiful, regal, and eccentric. Veritas, please get married in this. I think it would look splendid in ivory velveteen with a fur collar. Please! 
It really would not work with velveteen due to the slight nap of the fabric as well as the weight. The weight would change the drape of the fabric which basically would make it look like a drowned cat (flat... very, very flat). You could try to get the dress to retain shape by creating a true victorian undercarriage with a bustle and reinforcced with metal. Also, what the picture does not show that becomes clear with the directions is the amount of pin pleating and ruching one has to do. It is really a great deal of work to do it correctly and that is time I would rather spend doing other things with the wedding. I am doing everything myself except the cake

As for the dress, I decided to go with some a bit more deconstructed and classicly elegant (ala AgnusDei 1989). I am moving up to the next era and I am going to severely alter an edwardian style dress. Here is the pattern:

http://www.lafnmoon.com/titanic.htm

And this is the dress...

[Image: titanic_3.jpg] [Image: titanic_4.jpg]

I am going to use a dark blue silk velvet for the dress. I will delete the sheer sleeves and widen the velvet sleeves so they will drape a bit more (in width not length). Where there is the lace panel with velvet backing, I am going to use an ivory dupioni embroidered with fleur de lis.

[Image: IMG_0019.jpg]

I will also use  the same ivory embroidered silk for the under skirt beneath the split in the front.  I am not going to do the burn out of the velvet near the split. I am just going to leave it plain. For the sash, I am going to use plain dupioni silk with no ornamentation. I am going to stay with a square train but I am going to lengthen it to four feet. I am also going to embroider fresh water pearls in an ornate pattern along the neckline to the sash. I think it will be a lovely dress.
To complement the dress, I am going to create an art nouveau style headpiece accented with pearls and silver. For the bouquet, I am also doing an art nouveau inspired swirl with calla lilies and roses.

[Image: bouquet.jpg]

I should also mention that I never, ever wanted to get married in white in some frufru frilly princess dream dress. It just isn’t me. I like simple clean lines and I know what works with my body shape. I like older styles. I love art nouveau and the organic fluidity of the Edwardian era. I like the look and movement of real silk velvet and I prefer the blue velvet because blue will honor the BVM. So, I will get married in this next year.

Wows, veritas... how lovely! You better post a lot of pictures!!!